Archive

Topic: MFJ practice oscillator only works when Mic is turned on. (3 replies)
#1     Fri May 02, 2008 12:42 pm
N3VY
OCALA, FL

Subject: MFJ practice oscillator only works when Mic is turned on.

Does anyone know why I can transmit with the MFJ practice oscillator only when the Mic is turned on? The Mode is set to PTT, the external speakers are turned on, and the Mic pics up the sound that registers on CQ100.
Is this the way it's supposed to work?
#2     Sat May 03, 2008 11:44 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

I'm not sure I totally understand your questions. It sounds like if you put a mic on the MFJ speaker, all works fine, just like mic'ing your voice into the comptuer... right?

Are you trying to go direct into the computer with a line from the mfj to the mic in or line in?? Does the MFJ have a speaker jack and you are running from that into the computer? Is that what you are trying? If so, it should work but you will need probably make a different selection (not microphone) on the sound card. Maybe line in or stereo mix.

Again, I'm not sure I fully understand what you are trying to do.

rich
#3     Mon May 05, 2008 7:24 am
N3VY
OCALA, FL

Subject: MFJ oscillator to sound card

Hi, Rich,
The MFJ is cabled from the ear phone jack to the mic jack on the computer sound card. No matter how the "mode" is set, i.e., PTT, etc., the sound does not register on the meter unless the actual mic is turned ON.

There is a J-37 key connected to the Line In jack on the sound card for use with the MorseKOB program. (works well).

I was trying to ask, "is it normal for the RS mic to be required to be in the ON position in order to get the sound to register on the meter?" I think the sound is going from the external speaker to the ON mic, causing
it to register on the meter. So it seems to me.
#4     Mon May 05, 2008 9:53 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

I suggest you plug the audio output from the keyer into the sound card LINE-IN, instead of mic. Now go behind the white question mark and set Input Mixer so LINE-IN is checkmarked. Use the LINE-IN volume slider, along with your keyer volume control, to set the correct level. I don't know how to do this with VISTA.

Beware, some keyers have an OUT jack that is not audio. It is on-off keying output. You need to use audio output from the keyer.

If you set the CQ100 to VOX mode, the rig will automatically key up when the keyer is generating audio. Its like partial QSK.

..Doug

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.