Archive

Topic: Bull Dog key problems (9 replies)
#1     Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:31 pm
KJ7LB
normally mobile when on QSONET

Subject: Bull Dog key problems

I'm up and running with qsonet.com using the keyboard. It works fine. If I'm going to use this enough to pay for it I will want to use an iambic keyer. It appears that this should be simple enough using your CQ100 instructions.
I have a "Bull Dog" key that is hooked up to my laptop through an "usb" port. The key is working with a copy of "cwcom" that is installed on my computer, but it is not working with the CQ100 transceiver.
I've followed the user's help instructions telling me to open mixer under audio input. There is no "line in" selection but there are microphone settings. The volume is turned up, but the key is not getting through in VOX or PTT. Am I missing something?
#2     Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:14 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Put the checkmark under "Stereo Mix" or "What you Hear" instead of "Mic"
#3     Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:00 pm
KJ7LB

Subject: no change

No, that didn't help. I've also tried plugging into the mic slot on my laptop. All that did was cut out the audio. Maybe my audio circuit in the laptop is faulty? Anyway, thanks for the advice. If you think of anything else worth trying let me know.
Thanks, Paul kj7lb
#4     Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:15 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

ARe you runnng CWcom alongside CQ100?
Do you hear your keying from CQcom?

If you can hear it, everything you hear is transmitted when the checkmark is on Stereo mix.

CQ100 will not access the serial port directly. It requires a separate program like CWcom or Dahdidah running on the side.
#5     Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:38 pm
KJ7LB

Subject: Keyer

Yes, I'm running cwcom. As you say that is the only time I hear my cw keyer transmissions on the CQ100. The S meter deflects also. It is strange that there is no indication on the sweep that I'm transmitting, the red transmit light is not illuminated, nor is my ID displayed on the screen other than KJ7LB Listening. Is that normal? Also, I'm connected to an usb port; there is no serial port on my laptop.
#6     Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:32 pm
KB4T
Holly Hill, FL

Subject: Perhaps an "On the Air" Support Session is needed?

If KJ7LB would like, I'll be happy to arrange an "on the air" schedule where I can actually speak with him and walk him through a few things to see if we can sort out what's happening. I am available for these sorts of adventures just about any time on Sundays and Mondays, 0900-1100 Eastern or 2200-0100 Eastern most other days.

When I got CWType to work with my computer it took some doing but not much. Despite their similarities, computers can be substantially different in how they behave. Different programs only complicate the mix. Running 2 applications dedicated to the same purpose can be very tricky especially in how they share the sound resources in a computer.

Keep in mind that notebook PCs can be even more tricky to sort out. If the computer in question is a desktop it should be a matter of sorting out volume/recording control settings. If it's a notebook, additional equipment might be needed to sort out the issue. An on the air support session might speed the process.

Email me at kb4t@kb4t.us and let's see what we can work out if you are interested.

Frank KB4T
Florida
#7     Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:03 pm
KJ7LB

Subject: keyer problems

Frank,
Thanks for the offer. I will be home this Sunday, if you like we can talk in the morning around 9:30 Eastern time. My email is rshoreacre@aol.com. I'd be happy to call you if you like.
Paul kj7lb
#8     Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:32 am
KB4T
Holly Hill, FL

Subject: Tech Support Report re: KJ7LB

Paul is using a Dell Inspirion Notebook with Windows XP Home and no serial ports. His keyer paddle is connected to the PC via a USB to Serial adapter and an MRX Serial Cable available from Bulldog Iambic Keys (http://www.amateurradioproducts.com) for $17.

Paul's description of the problem was confusing to me. I wasn't sure if the audio produced by his CW program was indeed getting to the CQ100 software or not. I also wasn't sure if he understood how to make CQ100 transmit when using an external keying program. I wanted to see if I could help him resolve these issues so we setup the phone sked to do some tech support.

Since Paul was having trouble with the CWCOM software, I had him download and install Dahdidah to see how that would work on his notebook.

We quickly found out that if his USB to Serial adapter cable isn't plugged in when the notebook boots, the keyer paddle will not be seen by the software. He had to reboot with the adapter plugged in. Once he did so, Dahdidah was able to use his keyer paddle.

THIS WAS LESSON #1: Always make sure all your QSONET hardware is plugged in first before booting your notebook. (I have to be sure my external audio card AND USB to Serial adapter are plugged in first before I boot my notebook or nothing works right!)

Dahdidah produced a raspy, awful note when he sent with his paddle. I don't know why. Perhaps there is a COM Port issue. We tried tinkering with Recording Control Levels, both high and low, but nothing seemed to eliminate the severe distortion produced by Dahdidah. Even at very low levels, the note produced by Dahdidah was raspy and distorted. I'm sure there is a solution but we didn't find one during a quick troubleshooting effort.

I decided to cut short the Dahdidah troubleshooting effort to see how CWCOM worked. CWCOM was able to see and use his paddle and produced a clean note. We verified that STEREO MIX was selected in the Recording Control. He fired up CQ100 and he was able to transmit clean code and was able to receive properly. He was "on the air!" We made sure his levels were set correctly and all was good.

In a follow-up email I will brief Paul on the convenience of using VOX for CW operation and remind him about the importance of insuring that this transmit audio level is kept between S9 and 10 over for good solid copy. I will also remind him that he can adjust the pitch of his transmitted audio as needed within the CWCOM program he is using. Personally I like to use 800 Hz.

I would very much like to know why Dahdidah produced such a distorted note on his Dell Notebook. I wonder what could be causing that??? I'd like to see Paul switch to Dahdidah for two reasons: (1) it makes better sounding code and (2) the weight of the code can be more easily adjusted to produce easier to copy code. CWCOM produces machine perfect code but the dits are too short and the dot to dash spacing is odd. I find the code produced by CWCOM is stilted and harder than usual to copy.

I wasn't familiar with CWCOM so I downloaded and installed it. It's a capable but confusing program to use. It's nearly impossible to adjust the weight ratio to produce what I consider to be more copyable code. The complexity of the code element timing and ratio adjustments is unnecessary and difficult with which to work. Dahdidah is MUCH easier to use and produces better sounding code.

But at least now Paul is able to operate the way he wants. The rest can be worked out later if necessary. Listen for KJ7LB from Oregon on the CW bands on QSONET. He's now "On the Air!!!"

Frank KB4T
Florida
#9     Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:41 pm
KJ7LB

Subject: up and running

I appreciate Frank's time and expertise. As he explained, we resolved the major problem of being able to transmit. Some minor problems remain that I can work around, or resolve with time.
Paul kj7lb
#10     Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:57 pm
KB9BVN
Indiana

Subject:

Frank

Thanks to your posts here in the forum I have been able to get my CQ100 humming right along with the MRX cable and my paddles. You do a great job explaining these things.

73 de KB9BVN

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.