Archive

Topic: Paddle direct to computer? How's it coming?? (14 replies)
#11     Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:48 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Here is an update on our software keyer project. The purpose is to provide low-latency, high-quality keying by connecting your paddle to the computer serial port.

What I thought would be a few days project has turned into many months. By using the ASIO or KS drivers, we have the latency down to just 1 or 2 milliseconds. We have coded the algorithms for Iambic A and B, Ultimatic, Bug, Straight paddle, and Straight Key modes.

We are still working on a few problems where the length of dits, dahs and spaces is not perfectly constant. We are finding that our keyer performance varies quite a bit depending on computer, sound card, Windows version and installed sound card drivers. We will need to provide enough set-up options to handle all combinations.

We hope to have a beta version ready in about 1 week, but I have been saying that for months. This has turned out to be the most complicated programming I have ever seen. Real-Time programming under Windows is very difficult.

73, Doug
#12     Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:39 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

Hello Doug.. tnx for the update... take your time... get it the way you want it.

As for the serial port connection, my laptop has only USB. What I really want to do is leave my key and bencher paddle as they are with the stereo 1/4" plug on the end. Is there such a cord commercially made that would be female end that would accept the 1/4" stereo plug and USB on the other end to go into the laptop?? Or would one have to wire up such a "beast"??

thanks.

rich
#13     Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:42 pm
W4WXA
Warner Robins, GA USA

Subject: Paddle direct to computer? How's it coming??

I use a usb to serial adapter, then use
a serial to female stereo plug cable.
Still looking forward to the mod.
73 de Tom, W4WXA
#14     Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:17 am
KA5OAI
San Angelo, TX

Subject:

VE3EFC wrote:
Here is an update on our software keyer project. The purpose is to provide low-latency, high-quality keying by connecting your paddle to the computer serial port.

snip

We hope to have a beta version ready in about 1 week, but I have been saying that for months. This has turned out to be the most complicated programming I have ever seen. Real-Time programming under Windows is very difficult.

73, Doug

Am I missing something? Is this software available somewhere and I just have been overlooking it?

Yes there was. :oops:
the answer is in this thread:
http://qsonet.com/qbb/viewtopic.php?t=785

73, Sam
[/url]
#15     Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:55 pm
N8RGO
Mansfield, Ohio

Subject:

I just made a new post on my bencher paddle hooked up to what I thought you could do (Via the manual) on the line in of the sound card, I guess I must be wrong, I did not read this topic at all before I posted.

If somebody could reply to my new post that would be great, I too want to do the same thing hook my bencher keyer paddle directly to the sound card or something on the computer with no other devices in line and be able to send cw this way verse the internal keyer and having to type.

In either case I need to ask this question: Is there somewhere on the frequencies/CQ 100 that you can do practice and not go out to anybody else something like a pratice oscillator would be on a real HF rig, thanks.
Larry Roop
N8RGO

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.