Archive

Topic: Paddle direct to computer? How's it coming?? (14 replies)
#1     Thu May 03, 2007 1:37 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject: Paddle direct to computer? How's it coming??

Doug... I know I have asked this question before but it's been some time back ...

How are you coming (if at all) on the direct input of paddles into the computer for CW operation. I know you have commented that very early on, in the very infancy of CQ100 you had it working with direct hookup of the paddles but some letters didn't come out correctly. I believe you also mentioned that it was still something you were working on the last time I asked about it.

Any further news on this possibility?

thanks... rich ae0v
#2     Thu May 03, 2007 2:40 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Rich. Thanks for reminding me :) We have the prototype working now. The lag problem is mostly solved. We were thinking of adding Receive capability too. We could release of beta copy of the send-only version in about 10 days.

I just received some parts to build a touch paddle. Maybe I will convert an old mouse into a touch paddle.

http://touchpaddles.com

73, Doug.
#3     Fri May 04, 2007 10:04 am
WB0WLS

Subject:

Doug... thanks for the info.... I'm looking forward to the possibility of all this.

I looked at http://touchpaddles.com The first model (model P1) looks interesting and I see that it has a speaker out jack which I assume could go right to 1/8" input on the laptop. This model includes the actual keyer.

The next model (model P1PAD) below is the unit without the keyer which would seem the right choice as i assume the CQ100 program will actually provide the "keyer" for the external paddles. Am I thinking correctly here. There is one output on the back that takes a stereo plug.

The problem with external keying units so far on CQ100 is the TONE as most keyers (MFJ for example) have built in speakers but do not have speaker outputs ... so many guys tried to mic the speakers and the resulting tone on the computer was usually poor quality. Can one assume that with the model P1 with the speaker output jack, the tone would transfer cleanly into the computer??

With the model P1PAD, one would rely on the CQ100 keyer.

Which model (P1 or P1PAD) do you anticipate would produce the best CW tone.
#4     Sun May 06, 2007 9:36 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

I ordered the P3 Kit. I will use it to key my Kenwood as a code practice oscillator. The Kenwoood audio can feed into my sound card Line-in for very nice CW.

I will try to mount the two cents inside the body of an old mouse.

The MFJ and the and Model P1 keyers will produce a raspy tone.

There was an project in QST magazine a few months ago that got me interested in touch paddles.

73, Doug
#5     Tue May 08, 2007 6:57 am
WB0WLS

Subject:

Doug... maybe I am misunderstanding this. I have been assuming that you were fixing things so the key/paddles could plug direct to the computer and the keying would happen from within the cq100 program with no tone coming from outside (from oscillator or hf audio).

Paddle to computer.... nothing else in line??

I have done the audio from an HF rig into the computer for CW, but I just want the paddle on the desk with the laptop... NO other devices.

rich
#6     Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:24 pm
WB0WLS

Subject:

Doug... did you ever try that touch paddle you were going to order. I see one of the models has an AUDIO OUT JACK. I would want to use that direct into my computer... do you think the tone would be pleasant enough sounding or would it be too rough coming from the adudio out from the keyer unit as opposed to the audio out from an HF rig keyer??

I'm tempted to order the unit. http://www.cwtouchkeyer.com/P1W.htm
#7     Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:43 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Rich, I think the audio for that kit will be a raspy square wave instead of a nice sine wave.

I am very happy with this kit i bought a few weeks ago. Its a beautiful sounding sine wave with shaped attack and decay.
http://home.att.net/~jacksonharbor/cpo.htm

I am feeding the above CPO with this keyer. Its amazing keyer with lots of features, but the Pic audio output is raspy.
http://www.hamgadgets.com/product_info.php?products_id=51

I am feeding the above keyer with this touch paddle kit...
http://www.cwtouchkeyer.com/P3W.htm

I also soldered some 5 volt reed realys into the circuit. The provided transister switches would not key my computer serial port. Relays were Digikey 306-1020-ND, with internal diode. I provided a 600 ohm resistor in series with the relay coils, because I have more than 5 volts. These relays require only 1 ms to close, and they consume only 10 ma on the coil. The contacts can handle 200 volts at half amp.

Now its just a matter of sticking these kits into a box, providing a power supply and making some kind of touch object. I was tapping my fingers onto two thumb tacks melted into the top of a mouse, but I prefer a more tradiational paddle. I cut the plastic handle off a knive and may use that.

Our software keyer is looking really good. We were testing it yesterday and the latency is down to just a few milliseconds. It is keying through the com port. Its a pure sine wave with adjustable attack and decay. We are now tweaking the code for iambic A and B. Its taken much longer that expected but the beta version should be ready in a few days.

73, Doug
#8     Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:54 pm
WB0WLS

Subject:

this sounds good... is this software keyer setup where I can just plug my bencher directly into the computer?? ... no other external device??

VE3EFC wrote:

Our software keyer is looking really good. We were testing it yesterday and the latency is down to just a few milliseconds. It is keying through the com port. Its a pure sine wave with adjustable attack and decay. We are now tweaking the code for iambic A and B. Its taken much longer that expected but the beta version should be ready in a few days.

73, Doug
#9     Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:32 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Yes, the 3 wires from the keyer will connect directly to a serial port. A USB to serial port converter should work too.

73, Doug
#10     Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:52 pm
W4WXA
Warner Robins, GA USA

Subject: Paddle Direct to Keyer?

I am looking forward to that mod.
73 de Tom, W4WXA

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.