Archive

Topic: PSK Beacon on 14075 (5 replies)
#1     Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:14 am
KD9XH
Sarasota,FL

Subject: PSK Beacon on 14075

Tim KB3NPH is running a PSK 31 beacon on 14075. This is great opportunity for new PSK users to see if their digital software can "read the mail". Regular PSK users will find information about the digital modes on the beacon and will also be able to post short messages to KB3NPH. Just follow the instructions listed on the beacon for message posting.
One important point, please synchronize your transmitt frequency as close as possible to the beacon frequency to insure a clean message post.

de Ted kd9xh
#2     Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:09 pm
KD5LWU
Cortez, CO

Subject:

Thanks for the info you can also go to http://www.propnet.org and see live psk31 beacons on many bands - I have one on 28.131 and another one on 10.139.5 73 Johnny
#3     Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:32 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Beacon on CQ100?

Sorry, but I don't see any point in a beacon on CQ100. Propagation is not an issue and all it serves to do is lock up a frequency for someone's personal interest broadcast.

Please reconsider.

Thanks
#4     Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:11 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

I think this beacon serves a useful purpose.

People (including me) can test their PSK31 receive capablities. We have thousands of empty frequencies, so tying up one frequency is not a problem. A few beacons like our CW practice beacons ensures there are always a few blue spikes on the bandscope when beginners are first using the rig. Beginners can learn how to tune the rig.

73, Doug
#5     Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:11 am
DG7LAE
Luebeck

Subject:

I agree to the argument of Doug , for people trying psk31 for the first time , it is a good way to test if all letters can be read without failure and depending on what the beacon transmits they can get helpful information at the same time .

73's

Uli
#6     Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:58 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Beacons

VE3EFC wrote:
I think this beacon serves a useful purpose.

People (including me) can test their PSK31 receive capablities. We have thousands of empty frequencies, so tying up one frequency is not a problem. A few beacons like our CW practice beacons ensures there are always a few blue spikes on the bandscope when beginners are first using the rig. Beginners can learn how to tune the rig.

73, Doug

Obviously I disagree! You should ask, "Would this be acceptable on real amateur radio?" Ask any RTTY op what he would think. This kind of activity (with a questionable purpose) would be more suited on a less used band such as 29 Mhz. I didn't know that you had to learn to TUNE the rig. Is that kind of like dipping the plate current? <LOL>

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.