Archive

Topic: Soundcard for CW/Digital Modes (3 replies)
#1     Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:03 am
KD9XH
Sarasota,FL

Subject: Soundcard for CW/Digital Modes

Hello QSONET Users,

I am just getting started with QSONET primarily focusing on CW for now but hope to try some of the digital modes in the future.

Presently I'm using the onboard sound of my 4 yr old ASUS motherboard. I managed to get CwType working after reading this forum, but can't tune CWGet. The signal peak is tiny even after turning all of the volume controls to max. I gather that the problem lies in the control function of my onboard sound; it's too basic.

I'm hoping that I can get some PCI soundcard suggestions. I was reading about SDR's and see that the recommended soundcard is a $200 US M-Audio. I'm hoping that I can find something less expensive but adequate for my needs.

Tnx,

Ted
#2     Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:36 am
KA5OAI
San Angelo, TX

Subject: Re: Soundcard for CW/Digital Modes

KD9XH wrote:

Presently I'm using the onboard sound of my 4 yr old ASUS motherboard. I managed to get CwType working after reading this forum, but can't tune CWGet. The signal peak is tiny even after turning all of the volume controls to max. I gather that the problem lies in the control function of my onboard sound; it's too basic.

I'm hoping that I can get some PCI soundcard suggestions. I was reading about SDR's and see that the recommended soundcard is a $200 US M-Audio. I'm hoping that I can find something less expensive but adequate for my needs.

I wonder if you have cwget setup correctly? Almost sounds like cwget is hearing the cw via the microphone or some such? As far as sound cards go, I'm using a cheap on that I pulled out of an old computer. It's a pci Creative sound card. It doesn't do as well as a M-Audio would do with my softrock 40. Doesn't have as wide a bandwidth. but works just fine.

Grab a cheap sound card and try that 1st.

Good Luck,
Sam
KA5OAI
#3     Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:37 pm
KD9XH
Sarasota,FL

Subject:

Sam,

Thanks for the reply. CWGet now works fairly well on the slow beacon but has trouble with the high speed beacon. For some reason the high speed beacon has a different higher pitched tone and the wave form in the oscilloscope is more "saw-toothed". I haven't tried CWGet on a live QSO yet but do notice that the audio quality is all over the place.

Anyway, I just ordered a $21 Chaintech 24 bit soundcard from Newegg. It appears to be the top rated low end card; Diamond and Turtle Beach have cards in the same price range.

I hope that I can post a follow up in about one week.

Ted kd9xh
#4     Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:12 pm
KD9XH
Sarasota,FL

Subject: Chaintech Sound card review

Chaintech AV 710 Sound Card Review

My 3+ yr. old Asus motherboard has a built-in NVidia sound card. Initially I had trouble configuring the NVidia for proper use with CW and PSK software. After finding the Stereo Mix setting the NVidia has given excellent on air results.
I thought that a new sound card might somehow give me improved performance so I ordered a Chaintech AV710 from Newegg for $28. The Chaintech features 7.1 sound channels and a 24bit DAC, both improvements over the onboard card
After installing the Chaintech in an open PCI slot and rebooting, Windows XP immediately went online and downloaded and installed the lastest drivers dated 03/2007. The Chaintech drivers include the important Stereo Mix control setting. However on the air reports indicate that the audio through the mic is suboptimal when compared to my orginal NVidia card. PSK 31 transmission are copyable with this card but it is difficult to quantitate any improvement or degradation.
Given the mic audio reports I will revert to using my onboard NVidia soundcard.

de KD9XH

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.