Archive

Topic: Distorted morse characters on receive (6 replies)
#1     Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:31 pm
GW4ALG
Chepstow

Subject: Distorted morse characters on receive

Hi All

I find reading morse over CQ100 to be difficult on my set-up. I'm hearing lots of broken morse signals and loud 'popping' sounds (like when playing a scratched vinyl record) that mean that I have considerable difficulty reading QSONET morse code. I am reasonably sure that the audio stages in the PC are _not_ being overloaded.

The truncated dots/dashes, and the loud popping sounds that I'm hearing makes it hard work. I am running broadband; Windows XP; and the latest generation of dual core PC.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how I might improve the audio quality?

Regards to all,
Steve GW4ALG
#2     Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:25 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Steve. I think you are hearing small breakups in the incoming internet stream. These gaps are more noticeable on CW than on voice. Do you have high speed or dialup internet?

Here is some advice about breakup problems...

http://www.qsonet.com/qbb/viewtopic.php?t=556
http://www.qsonet.com/qbb/viewtopic.php?t=588
http://www.qsonet.com/qbb/viewtopic.php?t=52

73, Doug
#3     Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:59 pm
GW4ALG
Chepstow

Subject: Distorted morse characters on receive

Hi Doug

Many thanks for the quick reply and useful references.

I am using ADSL, with current speeds of about 5Mb/s download; and 380 kb/s upload. I agree that the gaps affect morse more than voice.

I am using a Linksys WAG54GX2 wireless router/ADSL modem, and connecting the PC to the router via a wired 100 Mb/s ethernet port. There are loads and loads of router options, and I suppose that I will have to learn what each setting means to isolate the cause! If I add in other variables such as my use of ZoneAlarm and Norton A/V software, this could take a while. I'll let you know when I crack it!

Regards to all,
Steve GW4ALG
#4     Thu May 01, 2008 2:55 am
GW4ALG
Chepstow

Subject:

Update: Still no progress here.

The signals received on QSONet still sound very 'clicky' with characters being chopped. This all makes for very difficult copy of CW.

Since my first report, I have changed ISP. This means that I've got an even better download speed of 5.8 Mbps (and upload speed of 380 kbps). But I'm still using the same PC and DSL equipment. As before, Skype continues to work perfectly. Remains a puzzle.

The chopped signals means that use of QSONet for CW really isn't a goer with my current set-up. But I've still no idea how to track down the root cause of the problem.

Cheers,
Steve
#5     Fri May 02, 2008 10:44 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

You could try another sound card, or download the latest drivers for your sound card.

A USB headset will appear as a new sound card, but must be selected behind the white question mark.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and check CPU usage. If you run Norton, you CPU may be too busy to do much else.

Try turning off packet inspection if its an option with your Linksys.

Try closing other programs, especially Yahoo messenger. Some programs do not like to share the sound card.

Check your internet speed here...
www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

More suggestions here...
http://qsonet.com/faq.html#VOIC

..Doug
#6     Sat May 03, 2008 3:05 pm
GW4ALG
Chepstow

Subject:

Thanks Doug

I've tried switching off Norton AV and ZoneAlarm and 'SPI Firewall Protection' in the Linksys (Cisco) router. But these made no difference. Investigation continues...

Cheers,
Steve
#7     Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:20 pm
GW4ALG
Chepstow

Subject:

I've just returned after a break and am now using a PC without Norton Anti-Virus or ZoneAlarm installed.

I have just completed a nice CW QSO with Serge RD3TBG and things are much better than they were when I first reported the problem. (There were a few break-ups of CW characters, but I could still follow what was being said.)

It's starting to look like turning Norton A/V and ZoneAlarm off was not sufficient to resolve the problem? Perhaps uninstalling these programs is the only real solution?

Cheers,
Steve

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.