Archive

Topic: MFJ 401C (6 replies)
#1     Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:43 am
W1FJI
Bradfordville, Florida

Subject: MFJ 401C

I have been trying to connect mt MFJ 401C keyer to CQ100. I connected the direct output of the keyer to the lin in on my siund card. I next went to the audio panel on my computer and made sure everything had a check mark and all the vol levels are turned up.

I turned onr the keyer, went into keyer mode on CQ100, I can hear audio in the computer speakers but I cannot ket CQ100.

Any ideas.

tks, 73's, Art W1FJI
#2     Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:00 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Click the white question mark and be sure the correct sound card(s) is selected. Open Mixer for Audio Output and be sure Line-In is NOT muted and turned up. Open Mixer for Audio Input and set the checkmark to "Stereo Mix" (What you Hear). Be sure this slider is turned up. Set this slider for S9 transmit level.

Once I have it working, I set my CQ100 to VOX mode so it automatically transmits when I key my paddle. Set the VOX for plenty of dwell, so its not pumping between words.

You will need to use the Audio Input Sliders to set the correct transmit volume, because the Mic Gain knob pushes only the MIC slider.

73 Doug
#3     Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:01 pm
W1FJI
Bradfordville, Florida

Subject: MFJ 401C

I do not have a "stereo Mix"

Followed instructions, except "no stereo mix" still no audio from the keyer to CQ100, but I can still hear cw when I key the keyer in the computer speakers.

73's Art
#4     Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:20 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Sometimes it called "What You Hear" instead of "Stereo Mix". Its usually the leftmost slider. Be sure it is checkmarked to show under proerties. Once you find it, be sure it is the only slider checkmarked as selected and turn it up.

Be sure you are looking under Input Mixer ( aka Recording or Capture) and not Output Mixer (aka Volume Control).

Be sure you have the correct sound card selected before you click the Audio Input Mixer to open.
#5     Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:21 pm
W1FJI
Bradfordville, Florida

Subject: MFJ41-C

Where do I start....

My MFJ 401C is an electronic keyer and has two outputs. One is direct and one is grid block keying. Which do you think I should use. I have bought new cables and I still cannot get a good tome or key up CQ100.

Maybe instead of trying to use a keyer maybe I should use a code osc???

tks, 73, Art W1FJI
#6     Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:21 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

I may be wrong, but I don't think either one of those on the back of your MFJ will send a "tone" to the computer. I think you would have to wire into the mfj speaker (I assume there is a speaker built into it)to get the actual audio. The "direct" output on the back would be for keying a transister rig and "grid block" output would be for keying an older tube type rig like a TS520 or TS830 ... at least that's how I used mine all these years.

Neither the direct or grid block send an actual audio tone down the line... they just key the circuit in the hf radio but don't actually provide the audio tone and therefore your computer is not getting any audio.

I know someone will add to or correct my info if it is wrong.

rich
#7     Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:55 pm
G4GQL
Ilford, Essex, UK

Subject: MFJ Keyer

Hi All

I have wired a co-ax lead and jack plug to the speaker contacts inside the keyer to get the tone for the sound card.

I have the MFJ-441.

It then gives me side tone as well.

It appears to work and I get S meter readings, but still to air test it.

I also find that if you push the 1/4 inch jack full in, it shorts and produces a tone, so I pull it back a bit and it works fine.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.