Archive

Topic: Code Practice (18 replies)
#1     Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:25 pm
N3VY
OCALA, FL

Subject: Code Practice

I want to thank QVE3A - BEACON for code practic. Found it on 14.070. 10 wp is fast as I can translate/write. Excellent practice. Thanks again.
73 de N3VY Don

#2     Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:57 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Don. We started running the code practice beacons in the early days just there were a few spike on the band so beginners could see how the spikes worked. QVE2A and B are at my office and we leave them running over night and weekends. They sometimes get disconnected by our ISP though. QVE3C and D are my home computer. I leave them running when I am at the office during the day.

I often wonder if anyone listens to them *hi*
If so, post below what speeds you prefer and whether you prefer the common random words repeated 3 times or the stories. I kind of flip a coin what to play every day.

72 Doug
#3     Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:39 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

Doug, I like the stories myself ... but I can see where the random words repeated 3 times is great for getting the sound of individual words ringing in one's head. I vote for keeping them both going.

rich ae0v
#4     Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:03 pm
NP3OD
Puerto Rico

Subject:

hi,

I like the beacons. Should keep the beacons. Right now I am using much the 10wpm beacon to remember again code. The 3 word repeat is good to make sure one really is learning the sounds of each letter in the head. And the stories and or paragraphs (normal text) is good to practice normal copy of code. I would say keep both. Maybe you can put them in a schedule so we know from beforehand when 3 words repeat or normal text is going to be transmitted in a beacon.

The only thing i have found is that beacons jump from 10wpm to 20wpm no 15wpm. I do not know how other think, but i think that for building up code speed once one knows code, having an extra 15wpm beacon (between the 10 and 20wpm) would be nice.

Tnx for those practice beacons. I say again, keep them.

Francisco
NP3OD
#5     Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:02 am
N3VY
OCALA, FL

Subject:

The consensus seems to be to keep the beacons going. I would prefer 10 and 13 wpm practice, and three of the same words at a time. I am 79 and in five years practice I can only translate/write abt 12 wpm max. Others would prefer higher speeds, perhaps. Much work for you, Doug; much thanks from Us.
73 de N3VY Don

VE3EFC wrote:
Hi Don. We started running the code practice beacons in the early days just there were a few spike on the band so beginners could see how the spikes worked. QVE2A and B are at my office and we leave them running over night and weekends. They sometimes get disconnected by our ISP though. QVE3C and D are my home computer. I leave them running when I am at the office during the day.

I often wonder if anyone listens to them *hi*
If so, post below what speeds you prefer and whether you prefer the common random words repeated 3 times or the stories. I kind of flip a coin what to play every day.

72 Doug
#6     Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:04 pm
W1PI
Sebring, Florida

Subject: I like the Stories

I like the stories myself. I learned more about Alice in Wonderland then I ever wanted to know, hi hi. I think the code practice is great and like copying it a bit each day. Keeps the cobb webs from building up.
#7     Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:44 pm
VE9AAS
Saint John

Subject:

Hi

I am new to the world of ham radio and cw communications. I passed my morse rating at 10 wpm and found the QVE3A beacon by tuning arouind the band. I like the code practice frequency and hope it stays. I have not had much time to be on HF lately and this is a simple (and excellent) way to keep the cw up to scratch. I have found that due to inactivity on the ham bands that my cw is slipping (rx speed wise) and would like to start at 10 wpm.
Is there a way to have a time allocated to 10 wpm then go to 20 wpm say 20 minute sessions?
#8     Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:22 pm
KG4LMU
Flat rock,Michigan

Subject: help

Anyone use Cwget? I want to learn how to use code and figure this software or something similiar is going to be the easiest to learn from. Except for the fact that the software just keeps sending message's?
#9     Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:52 am
G0DNI
Shrewsbury, UK

Subject: Re: help

KG4LMU wrote:
Anyone use Cwget? I want to learn how to use code and figure this software or something similiar is going to be the easiest to learn from. Except for the fact that the software just keeps sending message's?

Do a search for CwGet, there is plenty of discussion on the Forum. See this for starters:

http://www.qsonet.com/qbb/viewtopic.php?t=220&highlight=
#10     Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:02 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

Another suggestion you might consider is to download HamScope as it copies and sends CW and it free.

Steve - W0SDG

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.