Archive

Topic: other modes (6 replies)
#1     Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:13 pm
K3HIF
Philadelphia

Subject: other modes

Well Gents, I have answered all my own questions- this Great system will work with all modes and most all programs, no interfacing is necessary, only question that remains is - did the author intend this pgm to be used for digital comm. ???? ie psk 31, rtty, and others.....awaiting answers....
#2     Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:16 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Digital modes

I doubt the author intended it to be used with digital modes but my communications with him indicate that it is acceptable. He has advised me that the 'guideline' is to use these modes from 14.120 and below. I can only assume that includes the CW portions. Perhaps Doug can clarify if need be!

I regularly call CQ on 14.120 with PSK, Hellschreiber and any other digital mode I can think of. I use MixW. There are several threads in other areas that talk about it.

Hope you will join me there.

73, W7RJR
#3     Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:22 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Last August, the author was advertising QsoNet as doing Voice, CW and digital modes. When his experiments with digital modes were less than successful, digital modes were removed from the advertising.

Now he hears some people are having success and that is good news.

Just use your judgement to not bother other stations who are not interested in these fun experiments. For example PSK31 on 14.201 is not wise. PSK31 on 14.102 should be fine.

If you intend 100% digital, the CW bands are ok too. If you want to voice with fellow experimenters, choose a voice frequency near the CW band.

The official SSTV frequency is ok too. Is it 14.230? 235?

Use the Search Button at the top of this page to search for more discussion about digital modes.

73 Doug
#4     Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:10 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: digital progress

On 11-2-06 K9FB and I successfully completed a PSK31 contact on 14.120 Mhz. We discovered that during the first few seconds of transmission there would be a significant hiatus in the signal preventing proper decoding. These breaks would settle down after a few moments of sending an unmodulated signal. Also noted was a difference in frequency on the waterfall necessitating retuning after each transmission. These slight differences in the samplerate frequency seem to be insignicant on the HF bands but problematic and annoying on CQ100. Both John and I had previously calibrated our soundcards against WWV so should have been on the same frequency. We noted that the AFC in MixW did not seem to correct the small frequency difference. Despite these small problems we were able to copy each other close to 100%.

We also attempted to validate the usage of DIGTRX, a digital SSTV program on CQ100 using the HAMDRM mode. Much as expected we ran into synchronization issues and were unable to exchange data on CQ100.
John and I may try this mode again if we discover some solution. You can find digital experiments such as these on 14.120.

Please drop by some time.

W7RJR
#5     Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:28 pm
W0NBP
Ottumwa, Iowa

Subject:

Let me share some experience with PSK31.

Those first few seconds that always end up being hash can be fixed if we use the time honored AR or R several time before sending station id's.

AR R R R R W7RJR DE WONBP
FB BOB, 100% COPY THAT TIME BK
HW?
W7RJR DE W0NBP K

Thx fer qso cul

de W0NBP

Bill
#6     Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:00 am
K3ROJ
BALTIMORE, MD

Subject: PSK31 Operation

Perhaps I am overlooking something simple but cannot get my DIGIPAN to directly work with CQ100. All controls in the mixer setup are on and DIGIPAN functions as far as audio etc. Do I require an external hookup? Have heard stations on 14.070 which is the standard PSK frequency. Thanks, AL K3ROJ
#7     Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:02 pm
DG7LAE
Luebeck

Subject:

Digipan works fine with CQ100 , no external or anything is required .

for transmit you have to check "what you hear" ( different expressions depending on your soundcard software ) on the recording panel and CQ100 mode ist set to VOX to transmit
I had several contacts without any problems or losses , works simply great .

73 Uli

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.