Archive

Topic: CwType works GREAT!! (8 replies)
#1     Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:27 am
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject: CwType works GREAT!!

I used CwTpye with KC5PTX tonight and his report was that my code was perfect... no breakup.... not even the breakup at the beginning of transmissions. I have been very frustrated with this breakup thing as CW is my main interest.

I didn't spend anytime reading directions... I did a couple of steps in the setup ... 1. selected the default sound card. 2. set the tone (I like 500) as the default was set to 1000khz. On the main window I set the speed.

The input signal was so strong I had to go into my sound card and turn off the "boost".

I used PTT/PTL to put my CQ100 into transmit then "mouse click" the CwType window to bring it "forward".... just start typing. You see on the screen your message and as it sends the letters, they turn from black to gray so you can see exactly where you are from the end of the message.

If you make a mistake, the backspace works so you dont' have to try to send a bunch of dits.

I have only used it once but again the report was that absolutely every character came through without any breakup.

I guess I will hook it up to my hf rig and try it there also.

as a side note, I also have used the CwGet to listen to the beacons and it works great. Just click on the strongest peak signal so that red line is centered on the signal and there it is.... a fun way to check to see if what you copy in your head is accurate.... or if you are trying to copy a speedster.

rich ae0v I guess you could say, I'm one :D camper !!
#2     Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:09 am
G0DNI
Shrewsbury, UK

Subject:

Told you so :!:
#3     Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:09 am
WB0WLS

Subject:

worked another station this morning and all works perfect according to the report. thanks for the suggestion. when i first downloaded it, i recalled hearing someone say that the setup was a bit involved... maybe they were talking about setting it up with an HF rig ... but all I did was GUESS at a couple of thngs and start typing.

If you have any other suggestions about setting it up properly.... I'm all ears.

thanks..

rich ae0v
#4     Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:45 am
N9VV
Naperville, IL USA

Subject: how to setup CWType ?

Hi fellas, I downloaded CWtype and it sounds great in my PC speaker.

However, I can't get the output tones from CWtype into QsoNet.

What in the world do I have to set to get the tones from the speaker system into the software?

I figured you used some exotic VAC program, but your comments make it sound really slick. I must be doing something totally stupid.

BK de ken n9vv
#5     Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:53 am
G0DNI
Shrewsbury, UK

Subject: Re: how to setup CWType ?

N9VV wrote:
Hi fellas, I downloaded CWtype and it sounds great in my PC speaker.

However, I can't get the output tones from CWtype into QsoNet.

What in the world do I have to set to get the tones from the speaker system into the software?

I figured you used some exotic VAC program, but your comments make it sound really slick. I must be doing something totally stupid.

BK de ken n9vv

Working from memory again, but here we go :D

- Make sure that CQ100 is using the PC soundcard as the input (click on the ? at the top right of the CQ100) and not the microphone if you're using a USB mike

- Open the volume properties by double clicking on the loudspeaker icon at the bottom right of your screen (by the clock)

- Select Options/Properties/Recording in the volume properties window

- Make sure that all the boxes are ticked - click OK

- Tick the Stereo Mix box and don't close the properties box

- Select VOX (not Keyer) on the CQ100

- Start sending code and you should see the meter needle moving, if so you are "on the air"

- Play around with the volume slider on the Stereo mix properties and the mic gain on the CQ100 to get the needle reading as you want it

- If you don't use VOX, you will have to select TX at the start of each over, and deselect at the end of each over.
#6     Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:15 pm
N9VV
Naperville, IL USA

Subject: re: "Mix" is missing from my sound card sliders :-

O.K. thank you very much for your kind reply. I understand now. You and AE0V must both have a "mixer" or "monitor" capability in your sound card. Mine is the internal sound card that came with this new Dell desktop system. The sliders are limited to (1) front MIC, (2) rear MIC, and (3) LINE-IN. that's it :-) so now I need to get a new sound card (PCI) or hunt around the web for another driver for this darn internal (infermal?) sound gadget.
many tnx,
de ken n9vv
#7     Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:55 pm
G0DNI
Shrewsbury, UK

Subject: Re: re: "Mix" is missing from my sound card slider

N9VV wrote:
O.K. thank you very much for your kind reply. I understand now. You and AE0V must both have a "mixer" or "monitor" capability in your sound card. Mine is the internal sound card that came with this new Dell desktop system. The sliders are limited to (1) front MIC, (2) rear MIC, and (3) LINE-IN. that's it :-) so now I need to get a new sound card (PCI) or hunt around the web for another driver for this darn internal (infermal?) sound gadget.
many tnx,
de ken n9vv

Ken,

You might have missed the "tick boxes" in the volume properties box as described below? By default, not all of the sliders are shown but you might not have selected them. If you do only have the sliders you say, set CwType transmitting and select each of the "front mic/rear mic/line in" boxes below the slider and see if that CQ100 needle starts kicking.

--------------------------------------------------------

- Open the volume properties by double clicking on the loudspeaker icon at the bottom right of your screen (by the clock)

- Select Options/Properties/Recording in the volume properties window

- Make sure that all the boxes are ticked - click OK
#8     Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:13 pm
WB0WLS

Subject:

ken. i replied to your email so hope my experiences help also. if you have the program open, look under the "help" box. it seems to explain things in a simple manner. Help >>> Contents >>> program overview.

rich
#9     Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:22 pm
WB0WLS

Subject:

g0dni ... can't remember your first name. Have you tried changing the dots/dashes at the top of the screen.... default is 3.00 but if you go up to about 5.25 it sounds like the most PERFECT vibroplex bug sending i have ever heard. Just like we all probably have hoped over the years that those BAD bugs on the HF bands could have sounded like. :P

The other really neat feature that is right next to the dot/dash button is where you create a larger space between letters. The default is 3 but as you increase there is more "room" between each letter. Some people say the best way to learn code is at 20 wpm but with larger spacing between letters (or words) ... you can accomplish this by setting this level higher.

wow... this thing not only sends cw.. I would be happy with that.. but the two features mentioned above make this just outstanding. These features leave the door open for CW ops on here to create their own cw footprint as not everybody has to sound the same.... more like the "real" hf bands... right ??

what would we do without computer programs... I know... listening to HF band noise, weak signals and very few signals at that. :lol:

rich ae0v

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.