Archive

Topic: CwGet works well (8 replies)
#1     Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:00 pm
G0DNI
Shrewsbury, UK

Subject: CwGet works well

I'm trialing CwGet as a Cw decoder - yes, I did pass my morse test at 12 wpm but it was a VERY long time ago and although I promised the examiner I would keep it up, voice is so much easier :o

CwGet works really well, and the CQ100 keyboard sender is fine but is there a terminal program that works with CQ100 for sending in order to automate the standard name/rig/qth/ messages. I've tried CwType, but it's set up to interface through usb/serial/parallel ports to a normal rig, not the CQ100 virtual transmitter.

I do intend to try again with CW, although I don't think that I'm ever going to reach the dizzy heights of being able to receive high speed morse.
#2     Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:14 pm
G0DNI
Shrewsbury, UK

Subject:

OK, CwType working fine now, just a matter of selecting the correct input on CQ100 setup - soundcard instead of microphone.

CwType allows you to see what you have typed and also has "memories" set up on function keys.

FB :D
#3     Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:12 pm
N2QOJ
Queen Creek AZ

Subject: cwget

I use CWGET also from time-to-time and it works very well indeed.

I am so rusty with CW but CWGET lets me "listen in" on those QSO's too.

It will hold me over until I have more time (retirement!) to re-visit real CW!

Thanks for the info - Joe, N2QOJ
#4     Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:26 pm
K3HIF
Philadelphia

Subject: CW get

Pleas explain how to interface cw get with this program...Thanks
#5     Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:34 am
G0DNI
Shrewsbury, UK

Subject:

Settings for CwGet:

1. Make sure that you have the CQ100 set to play sounds over your PC soundcard, so you can hear the CW without headphones. Do this by clicking on the question mark at the top left of the CQ100 and select your soundcard from the drop-down menu

2. Tune to the practice code at 14.090

3. Run CwGet (the unregistered version works fine for your test - I've registered now as I use it a lot)

4. Go to CwGet setup and select your soundcard - default will probably work just fine.

5. Can you see the signal waveform in the top half of the CwGet window, if not, bring up the PC volume control properties (double click on the loudspeaker icon at the bottom right of the PC screen by the clock)

6. In the soundcard window, select Options, Properties, Recording and make sure that you have ticks in all the little boxes in the lower half of the window.

7. Click OK

8. Click in the Stereo Mixer box in the recording voume control and you should now get the signal showing in CwGet.

9. Click on the peak of the signal waveform in CwGet and you should see code appearing as text in the bottom window.

10. If the code is incorrect, play with the CQ100 volume control - remember, if you can't hear the code through your PC speakers then it's probably not going to work.

OK, try that and post again if it doesn't work :)
#6     Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:52 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

I have been trying CWGET for a few weeks and I really like it. Its easy to use and it works very well. I paid for it today. Soon, my radio equipment will be installed into my computer shack, so I can use CWGET with my Kenwood and Flex.

I am almost embarrased to say I will use CWGET. It seems like cheating *hi*. I am worried that it might spoil me for receiving CW in my head.

I am in a strange state where I can receive about 80% to 90% of the words whether they are sent at 35 wpm or 10 wpm. Long words are more difficult. My biggest problem is trying to form the sentence in my head. I try to remember all the previous words until the sentence is complete. I have to concentrate. With CWGET, I can refer back to the beginning of the sentence, and no concentration is required. It's CW for dummies :)

I really want to get to a state where my brain can receive CW just like talking. I keep thinking I am getting close but never quite make it.

73 Doug
#7     Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:17 am
K2SHN
Rochester, NY

Subject: CwGet

CwGet and other programs like it, work well when listening to near perfect cw tones. It does not perform as well with those done with a straight key, or similar. If you are learning morse code, this is exactly the kind of trap that can hold back your progress. I've observed many new learners on Cw Com who became very frustrated until they were told to turn the damn decode rx and tx feature off. The code they were sending was good copy to the ear, it was garble to the computer program. As a result, they weren't learning anything !
#8     Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:48 pm
KD7ETH
Phoenix, Az

Subject:

[quote="G0DNI"]Settings for CwGet:

Thanks for the good information! :D
I now have CW Get working on my computer!

73!

Lee
#9     Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:33 pm
N8RGO
Mansfield, Ohio

Subject:

what am I doing wrong I set up CWGET the way that G0DNI said to do and all I get is giberlish letters nothing that makes any sense..what settings do any of the above buttons have to be at? The auto Threshold seems to be the only thing that makes these letters appear.

Also do we need CWtype at all or is CWGet work with CQ100 internal keyer? Still at a loss on all of this G0DNI explains it pretty good but is there somewhere that has even more detail on how to set all of this up

Been wanting to set my paddle key up to send that way but still waiting to see on how others are doing this with the cables you have to have serial to USB ect. Any more help will be appreciated
Larry N8RGO

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.