Archive

Topic: MixW and QSONET (7 replies)
#1     Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:22 pm
KL1A
Vienna, AUSTRIA, EUROPE

Subject: MixW and QSONET

Hi all,

any idea how to configure MixW for QSONet operation?
Ports installation and etc? Solution?

Thanx for help in advance.

73 KL1A Andy
#2     Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:40 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Interfacing MixW

Hi Andy

If you have a newer soundcard you may have on your mixer an input option called 'what you hear' or something similar. This directly injects the soundcard output into the input on CQ100. Works great with MixW.
I use a soundblaster Audigy 4. Note that line input does not work straightaway unless you provide some method of feeding the output back into it. A splitter on the output jack should do the trick. Be careful about creating a feedback situation.

Of course you must switch back and forth between this setup and the microphone in order to accomplish both. I have used MixW with CQ100 on all the digital modes. Works great so far with CW, PSK31 and RTTY.
Analog SSTV does not work well with CQ100. This likely due to packet timing and latency issues in the codec.

If you have any further questions please send em my way.

73, Bob, W7RJR
#3     Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:05 am
KL1A
Vienna, AUSTRIA, EUROPE

Subject: Re: Interfacing MixW

Thank you Bob.
You're sagested to plugin OUTPUT signal from MixW to INUT - CQ100 by external cable with MIXER stuff for killing feedback.
Do you have any solutions with internal methods for MixW connection to CQ100? MixW and CQ100 is internal softwares and probably we have some additional solutions with Port changes or something.

Any ideas?

Thanks again and (((73))) Andy

W7RJR wrote:
Hi Andy

If you have a newer soundcard you may have on your mixer an input option called 'what you hear' or something similar. This directly injects the soundcard output into the input on CQ100. Works great with MixW.
I use a soundblaster Audigy 4. Note that line input does not work straightaway unless you provide some method of feeding the output back into it. A splitter on the output jack should do the trick. Be careful about creating a feedback situation.

Of course you must switch back and forth between this setup and the microphone in order to accomplish both. I have used MixW with CQ100 on all the digital modes. Works great so far with CW, PSK31 and RTTY.
Analog SSTV does not work well with CQ100. This likely due to packet timing and latency issues in the codec.

If you have any further questions please send em my way.

73, Bob, W7RJR
#4     Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:01 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: RE: CQ100 and MixW

OK Andy. Nothing needs to be done with ports. The preferred method is to have a newer sound card that utilizes the 'what you hear' input selection. Not all sound cards seem to have them, especially the older ones and the integrated ones. Just select it then adjust the level. Leave the mixer window up. You can then switch back and forth between MIC input and WHAT YOU HEAR input.

If you don't have this selection on your mixer then you need to obtain an additional stereo cable and a stereo splitter (available in Radio Shack in US). The splitter goes in the audio output jack of the sound card (usually green). Plug the speaker(s) AND the new cable into the splitter. The new cable will then be plugged into the LINE INPUT connection on your card.
If you get feedback then disable the line input selection on the PLAY side of your card. In fact the line input and mic selection should be disabled on the PLAY side for use with CQ100.

Again, leave the mixer window up. You will have to adjust the levels in the mixer. Too much line input gain will cause distortion and disrupt any decoding.

This method should allow you to use MixW for CW and digital modes on CQ100. Should you want to use the microphone you will have to check it on the mixer input and vice versa. You may have to check the 'cw output to soundcard' option in MixW.

Your choice to use VOX or PTT to key the CQ100 program. The VOX setting is much more convenient of course but may require a higher level of the input setting in order to trip and hold it. Unlike the included KEY option in the CQ100 program, MixW will space the code perfectly without dropout. It also supports the use of all prosigns. MixW also includes a logbook and many programmable macros. Using CW with MixW is an absolute pleasure. (No, I don't work for them).

I would assume this method works equally well with programs such as CWGET and CWTYPE.

Hope this helps.

73 Bob W7RJR
#5     Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:18 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

On my older sound cards "What you Hear" is called "Stereo Mix".

If I select that, any sound that is playing on the computer is transmitted on QsoNet instead of from the microphone. That's how I transmit morse code practice.

These setting are available if you click 'Open Mixer" behind the white question mark.

The Vox Level works reverse to what some people expect. If the vox level is set high, it needs a high amount of audio to trigger the vox. When you set it low, the vox is more sensative.
#6     Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:52 pm
KL1A
Vienna, AUSTRIA, EUROPE

Subject: Re: RE: CQ100 and MixW

Thanks Bob for detail explanations.

I have tested today my MixW on CQ-100 and everything worked OK.

But just for sure I tested signal from another PC with another MixW
and found that Text is unreadeble. The signal level are OK and no feedback, clear BPSK32 signal output, but TEXT not readble.

Some IP' packet were broked, but it was just qute short breaking - aproximatly 20ms and not really reflected on the text.

RTTY signal is also not readble, but all setup parameters on the both MixW is the same.

- Second test - It was direct connection 1 PC to another with MixW's and all was worked OK.

Something wrong with the channel bandwith? No!
BPSK is not need spread out or wide bandwith.
It working with just a few Hz.

May be some channel distortion can reflecting to the signal quality ?

Do you have the same problem and do you have test on it?

73 de KL1A Andy
#7     Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:44 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: RE: MixWW and CQ100

Hi Andy and Doug

Thanks Doug for the info RE: Stereo Mix being the same as what you hear!

Andy I have no problem decoding anything (save for SSTV). Perhaps you have not moved the pointer to the received signal in the waterfall?
Otherwise you may have to reduce the input level as distortion will interfere with proper decoding. Do you receive garbage or nothing at all?

Most people that use soundcards have never calibrated them. There are several programs out there that include a soundcard calibration routine while tells you which samplerate frequency to use when compared to a WWV signal. I don't think that is causing your problem but worth mentioning as something good to do. Proper calibration will keep you and your QSO partner on the same sheet of music :-)

Let me know if you need any more help.

73, Bob, W7RJR
#8     Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:16 am
K3HIF
Philadelphia

Subject: Digital modes

All problems will be solved if you use Minivari located on the mmtty site,no ports or other settings need be made, just use vox,also cw get works just fine, the digital stuff nay need some fine tuning before perfect copy

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.