Archive

Topic: Your CW setup ?? (17 replies)
#11     Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:54 am
G0DNI
Shrewsbury, UK

Subject:

AE0V wrote:
Let me know it works. my MFJ keyer has no audio out. The only outputs it has is "grid" and "direct" depending on if you have a tube or solid state hf rig. Maybe I am missing something, as I will admit I am not technical minded. I think you would have to alter the keyer to create an audio out signal.

I have plugged my keyer into the "mic in" via the direct out on the back, and there is a signal but there is no audio going down that line. It is only a signal to to "drive" (for the lack of a better term) the sidetone in your HF rig.

Like I said, I could be wrong.

I'll wait until Doug comes up with a "direct" plug into the line in.

Rich,

Have you tried CwType? I know it's still code via the keyboard but it does give you an indication of what you have typed, it has programmable memories, and best of all - it's free :D
#12     Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:34 am
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

I have seen the CWtype... but probably wouldn't use that... but do have CwGet running at the moment and it does a great job on the beacons and most of the cw sigs on qsonet. It's fun to copy in your head and then look back and see if what you copied matches or if you missed a word or two you can see what it was.

Somebody told me the CwType is a little bit more to set up and make work.. I don't know.. I haven't tried it but the CwGet plays "rightoutofthebox" as the saying goes. just get mouse the red line over to the highest peak and make sure the audio is turned up enough and bingo.... good copy.
#13     Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:04 am
N3VY
OCALA, FL

Subject: MFJ: MY MFJ-557 is not a "keyer", it is a code pr

My MFJ-557 is not a "keyer", it is a code practice oscilator w/a phone jack which can be cabled to the audio input on the computer, and sound emits from the external speakers which I have attached. Hope that clears it up.
73 N3VY Don

AE0V wrote:
Let me know it works. my MFJ keyer has no audio out. The only outputs it has is "grid" and "direct" depending on if you have a tube or solid state hf rig. Maybe I am missing something, as I will admit I am not technical minded. I think you would have to alter the keyer to create an audio out signal.

I have plugged my keyer into the "mic in" via the direct out on the back, and there is a signal but there is no audio going down that line. It is only a signal to to "drive" (for the lack of a better term) the sidetone in your HF rig.

Like I said, I could be wrong.

I'll wait until Doug comes up with a "direct" plug into the line in.

Quote:
#14     Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:14 pm
N3VY
OCALA, FL

Subject: Re: Your CW setup ??

OK, I did it by plugging my MFJ 557 code practice oscilator into the mic jack es adjusting the volume on computer es Oscialtor and external speaker. I use PTT holding down the space bar to transmit es releasing it to stop tx. Works gud, but can't find an of to work me 10 wpm. They all want to work 25-30 wpm, leaving me out in the cold. OK, so I'm old and slow - I get there just the same hi hi. Gud lluck es 73 de N3VY Don.

AE0V wrote:
I know there are many stations with an interest in working CW. Although I have done more with the "voice" end of the bands here, my greatest interest is in working CW.

I am presently using the keyboard but would like to use my bencher paddles or a straight key. I tried sending the sidetone from my hf rig into the sound card and although it was copyable, the tone was very rough for the receiving station to listen to.

Hopefully in the future it may be possible to plug the paddles directly into the audio input.

Some of you may have found the secret to inputing a signal into the mic input of your computer and being able to transmit a "good tone". If you have done this, please tell us how you are acheiving this success.

thanks... rich ae0v
#15     Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:00 pm
WB0WLS

Subject:

n3vy ... any luck with contacts using the MFJ-557 into your computer? How are the reports on the received tone on the other end?? Is it all working good.

Anybody else using this and have good reports on the signal tone?

I wouldn't mind getting one of these if I was sure the sound would be clean and not raspy or unpleasant.

I have tried coming out of speaker outs of a couple of hf rigs with no luck as far as producing a pleasant tone that anybody wants to hear :)

What would make the "out" of the speaker on this MFJ unit any different than the speaker out of the HF rig.

Comments ?? Any other options any of you CW ops have come up with that is working which allows you to use your paddles?

thanks.
#16     Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:12 am
N3VY
OCALA, FL

Subject: Re: Your CW setup ??

AE0V wrote:
I know there are many stations with an interest in working CW. Although I have done more with the "voice" end of the bands here, my greatest interest is in working CW.

My MFJ 557 code practice oscillator is connected from its audio jack to the mic input jack on my computer. The tone is adjustable. I put the "rig" (on the computer) in PTT mode, hold the "space bar" down on the keyboard to Transmitt, release it to listen. Works well.

Don N3VY
Ocala, FL

I am presently using the keyboard but would like to use my bencher paddles or a straight key. I tried sending the sidetone from my hf rig into the sound card and although it was copyable, the tone was very rough for the receiving station to listen to.

Hopefully in the future it may be possible to plug the paddles directly into the audio input.

Some of you may have found the secret to inputing a signal into the mic input of your computer and being able to transmit a "good tone". If you have done this, please tell us how you are acheiving this success.

thanks... rich ae0v
#17     Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:35 am
WB0WLS

Subject:

hi Don. Ok on your set up but what I am really interested in is the report you get back from the station on the other end.

As we all know, when sending with the keyboard, every character you type sounds perfect as you send, but we all know the first several letters continue to break up at the other end plus there are radom during the transmission that will break up and crackle, etc.... but the sending station never hears that. And that is the frustrating thing about it, to hear the code perfect as you send but yet knowing there is possible breakup, burps and blips on the other end.

Have you actually had reports that the tone is in fact smooth and pure and without that rough, grainy, humming, etc. etc. sound that i hear many get when they try to come out of the hf rig. I have tried about everything I can think of but no luck on a good sound (even though it sounds good on my end as I am sending).

Please try your MFJ oscillator with several stations and let us know the reports on your tone.

thanks... rich ae0v
#18     Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:39 pm
G4CAO
New Haw

Subject: CW using paddles

Sri I'm a bit late in reading through the posts but have just read Doug's suggestion that maybe using keyer paddles into a usb port might be workable albeit with the time lag he is experiencing at the mo makes it not practical. Just wondered if or what sort of iambic mode it might be? iambic mode A or iambic mode B ? Thanks Geoff G4CAO

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.