Archive

Topic: CW Keyer with a Nice Sidetone? (6 replies)
#1     Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:48 am
KN4NO
Cumming, GA, USA

Subject: CW Keyer with a Nice Sidetone?

On most CW keyers, the built-in sidetone is an afterthought and usually does not produce a pleasent sounding tone. For most purposes, this is adequate, but for QsoNet use, the quality of this sidetone controls the quality of your transmit audio. Does anyone know of a keyer with nice sidetone? I don't care if its a factory built unit or a kit.

Thanks & 73,

Greg, KN4NO
#2     Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:32 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

My Kenwood TS570 has a nice sidetone for CW monitor. I can set the Kenwood so it acts as a code practice oscillator. The audio output at the back of the Kenwood can be connected to the Line-In of my sound card.

Just one problem, my Kenwood is located in a different room. I need to design a new shack so computer stuff + radio stuff is all in the room *hi*

#3     Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:16 pm
N8DQU
oscoda,mich.

Subject:

i,also am interested in getting on cw. the audio out from my ts-570 will probably do just fine...but it is in the other room too..hi hi ...but i would rather send with my paddles than the keyboard. :D n8dqu
#4     Mon May 21, 2007 10:42 am
VA3JWJ
Hamilton

Subject:

Simple solution really

Move it from the "Other Room" to "this room" lol

Sorry couldnt resist.

I use my Kenwood 570 and sidetone with my straight key. Key up the CQ100 and bang away.
Great fun and best of all. It works.. ;)

JJ
#5     Sun May 27, 2007 5:29 am
AB9MJ
Villa Park, Illinois

Subject: Clear CW sidetone with PC audio board and freeware

I learned Morse code by first purchasing Code Quick software. I did not own a radio, but I had a computer with Internet access. My kids gave me an Iambic Key as a gift when I became a HAM. So, I interfaced the key with my computer; only needed software and a serial cable.

1. CWCom v1.49
Morse Code Communicator
By MRX Software
http://www.mrx.com.au
Freeware uses computer audio card to generate clear undistorted sine waves. The
Dits and Dahs can be input thru keyboard, straight key, or iambic using the Serial,
Parallel, or Joystick ports. Wiring information is in CWCom Help File.

2. Serial Cable; I got from my junk box but I saw them on the Internet ranging from
$2.99 to $24.00.

3. QuickMix audio control software - http://www.ptpart.co.uk/quickmix/ -I found this utility softwareware extremely helpful when I needed to save audio setting, i.e. cut MIC input. This is freeware.

So I grabbed my wire cutters and soldering iron and followed the CWCom wiring instructions and program setup notes. An hour later I was sending code thru my PC speakers. Once CWCom is connected to Internet the default settings sent me to a CW chat room. Very neat learn code by practicing with other!

Now I only use the setup with CQ100. So I set CWCom default setting: Connect > UDP Comms > "DISCONNECT" button near bottom of window OFF.

If you need help, my email address is found at QRZ.COM

Have fun,
AB9MJ
JohnnyO :D
#6     Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:29 am
NE5DL
Mansfield, TX

Subject: CW Keyer with a Nice Sidetone?

I just built the Jackson Harbor Press Twin T oscillator kit for this purpose. If you use paddles then you will need a keyer to feed it. JHP also has those. I built their Island Keyer II but it's a bit of an overkill for this purpose, unless you want a good memory keyer.

No connection with JHP here.

73, Dave NE5DL
#7     Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:50 pm
K5LN
Round Rock, TX

Subject: Re: CW Keyer with a Nice Sidetone?

Greg,

The way I got around the keyer side tone issue is that I picked up a Vectronics Classroom Code Proctice Ocillator at the Hamcom hamfest. A guy at the hamfest was selling them for $15.00 brand new and it has a very nice signwave tone.

I key the Oscillator with my keyer using my paddle and the audio from the Oscillator is then sent to the Mic jack in the computer. I also had to put a .1 cap in series with the cable from the output of the Oscillator to the computer to decouple the direct connection. You will have to play around with the volume level to keep it at S9 but it works very well for me. Hope this helps.

Oh I also made a switch boxs where I connect the Oscillator and Microphone and use a rotory switch to switch between the Microphone and Oscillator for CW. If you would like a diagram of this please send me an email at K5LN@austin.rr.com and I will send you the diragram with the details.

Tnx,
Bill, K5LN

KN4NO wrote:
On most CW keyers, the built-in sidetone is an afterthought and usually does not produce a pleasent sounding tone. For most purposes, this is adequate, but for QsoNet use, the quality of this sidetone controls the quality of your transmit audio. Does anyone know of a keyer with nice sidetone? I don't care if its a factory built unit or a kit.

Thanks & 73,

Greg, KN4NO

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.