Archive

Topic: New HAM looking for easiest CW key hookup (5 replies)
#1     Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:21 pm
KC0ZBS
Des Moines, IA

Subject: New HAM looking for easiest CW key hookup

Please help me with your suggestions. I'm looking for the most reliable way of getting a straight key (or maybe paddle) hooked up to CQ100.

I though the MFJ-557 would be perfect, but reading other posts it seems that may not be ideal???

I don't care if I use Dahdidah (as long as it works perfectly with USB conversion, I dont have Serial connection) , or if I go through soundcard.

Either way, please tell me what is the most plug and play way to go and please offer some suggestions as to which CPO, keyer, cables touchtapper etc work best.

Thanks!!!!
Derek KC0ZBS
#2     Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:56 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

I have used my Kenwood TS-570 D as expensive CPO to feed nice keyer audio into CQ100. Most CPO's have a very raspy square wave sound.

The subtle problem with many keyer programs is the lag between closing the key ahd hearing the sound. Its ok at 5 or 10 words per minute. But at 25 WPM, you cannnot understand why your S characters often come out as H's. DahDiDah goes to huge effect to minimize this lag.
#3     Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:19 pm
KC0ZBS
Des Moines, IA

Subject:

I see. Thank you for the reply.

I did go ahead and pull the trigger on the MFJ 557. I need it for practice anyway, and I guess I can always disconnect the straight key from the CPO and then wire up a serial to USB directly to the key with Dahdidah.

Hope I made the right decision! I'm like a kid in a candy store here. I've been away from the hobby for almost 2 years. A LOT has changed with CQ100 since then. Also going to try my hand with MixW and some VOIP
"digital" stuff.

SO MUCH TO LEARN!! :)
#4     Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:40 pm
KC0ZBS
Des Moines, IA

Subject:

One more newbie question if I may. :)

I have a touchtapper (1st model, no sidetone). Is there a way to use this with the soundcard or Dahdidah? I thought maybe that would work somehow since it is a powered unit and doesn't work in the same way a straight key works (as a simple switch)

Hope that made sense!?!?
#5     Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:52 am
W2BLC
Altamont, NY

Subject: CPO

If you have good quality tone (sine wave) there is no reason it couldn't be piped into the sound card via the line level input. Don't know if anyone is doing this, but I have been giving it some thought. Use the PTT and tap away - adjust the levels with the sound card adjustments.

The best would be a CPO with USB cable on it - something about the size of a 9-volt batery. Any designers out there?
#6     Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:18 pm
KC0ZBS
Des Moines, IA

Subject:

Thanks for the help everyone! The CPO is in the mail, and I'll try both methods (line in and Dahdidah) to see how they work. Now I'm moving on to getting Hamscope figured out.

Appreciate it gents. CU on the air!

73 de Derek

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.