Archive

Topic: Unable to Login to QSONet (7 replies)
#1     Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:02 am
KJ5XX
Frisco, TX

Subject: Unable to Login to QSONet

Hi Doug:

I'm having a problem logging into QSONet and having read the documentation, I'm not sure exactly what the problem is.

I'm using McAffee and have configured it to permit all protocols (although I know you use TCP/IP), in either direction, using your IP - 66.98.149.39.

I'm still getting an Error #103 when I try to login.

So, I recognize that this is a some sort of firewall issue, but I'm not sure what else to do to resolve it.

Thanks,

Ron - KJ5XX
#2     Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:53 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

I think the IP address you enter should be yours not mine. Yours may be something like 192.168.x.y

There is another process for your firewall to authorize CQ100.EXE to use the internet. This part has nothing to do with any IP address.

I have never used Mcaffee, Norton, or the others. The firewall that comes with XP works fine for me with no problems at all.
#3     Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:05 pm
KJ5XX
Frisco, TX

Subject:

OK I understand that, but I've already told my firewall to provide TCP access to CQ100 but I am still getting the same "103 Error".

If you can't provide me with some more specific information on how to configure your program to work with firewalls, I guess I won't be using it.

I noticed from other posts that you said which ports your program uses, but you also said that would be of no use to people connecting to your server.

With every other online product like this that I've worked with (Echolink for example) as well as Skype and others. There is ususally some information about which ports to open up in the firewall to enable to program to "see through it".

I noticed in one of your other posts, you said "
With any outbound TCP connection, your port is chosen at random by your system. This is how any web browser works. Your router is designed to allow incoming response over the same random port your system chose for outgoing".

I didn't think your program was a browser-based program is it?? If so then I would re-phrase my question and ask how I configure your product to recognize my Proxy Server. With all of the browser based software that requires Internet access (Winamp, Last.FM to name a couple), there is a place in the software where you can enter the specifics of your Proxy Server, ID and PW. I didn't see any place to do this in CQ100 or the documentation so I assumed that this wasn't an issue.

So, I guess what I'm asking (as well as others who have gotten an Error 103) is how do you configure your product to work with a firewall. No I'm not asking you to become an expert in all firewalls, but to provide simple instructions like those provided by Echolink, Winamp, Last.FM and others that require Internet access in order to work.

I don't think that by saying "It's a firewall issue" and leaving it at that is doing those who wish to use your product any service. If you do have some answers on this, I would suggest posting them to your FAQ as well as adding a section to your User Guide. Have to say that when I went to your User Guide and saw that there was not a single reference to the word "firewall" that I immediately got a sense that perhaps that the product was not as mature as I would have hoped. (I've been in the applications software industry for over 20 years, so I'm not a newbie in this area).

Don't get me wrong, I think you have a potentially fantastic idea here, especially for new hams that can't afford their own station as well as for those "road warriors" that don't like to lug their station around from place to place.

Just would like to be able to give it a test drive myself, and like most anyone that has a broadband connection - I have a firewall on my router that needs to be configured in order to allow access to programs like CQ100 (not the lightweight version that is provided with Windows XP).

Thanks,

Ron - KJ5XX
#4     Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:30 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject:

Ron

There are several possibilities you should consider. First and foremost it it highly unlikely to be the fault of the CQ100 program. The program is not a web browser based program, but uses TCP/IP in the same manner as a web browser (e.g. nothing to configure). There is nothing in the program to configure. The '103 error' indicates you cannot make a connection to the server. Since the program uses the TCP/IP protocol it does not need or care about opening a port on your computer. The most likely cause of the problem (assuming you have a good internet connection to begin with) is that a firewall on your computer is not allowing inbound and outbound access to the cq100 executable file. Please keep in mind that Windows XP (SP2) also contains a firewall; therefore, if you are running Norton, McAfee or some other firewall you may actually have two firewalls to configure.

I would recommend that you briefly disable any firewall(s) you may have running and then see if CQ100 works. If it does, then you know you need to configure your firewall(s). If not, then you may have some kind of problem with your IP stack or a routing issue which would go well beyond the scope of fixing here.

Good luck

#5     Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:45 pm
KJ5XX
Frisco, TX

Subject:

Yep, I agree on all points and I don't believe that the problem is the fault of the CQ100 program itself. Clearly it's a firewall issue.

I don't use Windows firewall and have intentionally set it to "off". I do use McAfee, however, and have given the CQ100 program TCP access in both directions (outbound and inbound).

Seems to work fine with other programs; just not CQ100. You're right, it works fine with McAfee firewall turned off; but I certainly don't want to run it that way.

Appreciate the input.

Ron - KJ5XX
#6     Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:58 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

It uses an outbound TCP connection just like any web browser. But it does not speak HTTP language over this connection. It speaks a proprietary language. Maybe McAffee expects to see only HTTP carried in every TCP packet? Have you asked McAffee about this problem?
#7     Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:20 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

You say you have asked McAffee to authorize "CQ100" to use the internet. But there is no program on your computer by that name. McAffee might need the know the program name as "CQ100.EXE". I have never used McAffee, so this is just a wild guess.
#8     Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:53 pm
K1LCH
Valrico, Florida

Subject: Server Error #103

A friend of mine just got this error today on CQ100 and I thought I would pass along our fix for the Linksys WRT54g Router. Pse note we did turn off firewall, install OVER CQ100, uninstall and REINSTALL CQ100, reboot computer and this led us to the Router as the Culprit.

For this Router bring up IE and put in the address of the router (i.e. 192.168.1.1) and then put in your User Name and Password. Go to the SECURITY tab, Firewall, and remove the check in "Block Anonymous Internet Requests", Save Settings, Continue, and exit IE.

Terry
K1LCH
terrypalmer2@compuserve.com <-- for further direct assistance

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.