Archive

Topic: Freeze up when doubling (7 replies)
#1     Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:54 pm
VE9GUS
Burton, NB. Canada

Subject: Freeze up when doubling

I have noticed that when I accidently double up with another station that CQ100 will not release until I exit out of the program and sign back in again.
Is this normal, if not can you look at a fix for this?

Thank you. :(
#2     Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:05 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

A few people have reported this problem, so I am sure its a real bug. However, we are not able to see the problem here, so its very difficult to try to fix a problem we cannot see. We had two stations rapidly hammering on their PTT button at the same time, but neither computer would lock up.

The problem might be more likely in Windows 98 and ME.

73, Doug
#3     Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:31 am
WA4FU
Tampa, FL

Doug I don't understand why you can't duplicate this very annoying problem. It happens to me so often I leave my mouse cursor over the freq I'm on so I can click on it to get out of the lock out condition. In some cases it locks up my system to the point that ctl, alt del will not even work and I have to reset to reboot my system. I am using XP-Pro.

This is a major problem and happens to me at least five or six times per day.

JB
#4     Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:12 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

I don't understand why I cannot duplicate this problem, but I continue to hear reports about it. I run all 5 year old Dell computers with Windows XP - SP2 and 512 Mb RAM.

What computer are you running, how much RAM, what sound card and what kind of internet connection? The problem might be related to some other program loaded on your computer, like antivirus or firewall. It could be related to what brand or sound card, or what version of the sound card driver. If I can duplicate this problem, I can fix it.

Try installing the latest version of the CQ100 transceiver. There was one version a year ago that had weird problems with Windows 98. The problem related to the use of mutexes and critical sections to coordinate memory access among program threads within Windows 98.

-- Oh I just had another thought...
How do you operate your PTT button? Do you just click it with the mouse or do you hold the space bar down or do you hold the mouse key down while transmitting? Do you use Vox? This might be a clue. There may be some technical problems if someone is holding the mouse down or holding the spacebar down.

#5     Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:41 pm
WA4FU
Tampa, FL

Thanks for the reply.

I am using

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name F5R0O9
System Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INC.
System Model MS-6580
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~1817 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V3.7 0, 5/19/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 162.42 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

My sound Card Info

Name Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM/DA AC '97 Audio Controller
Manufacturer Intel
Status OK
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_58001462&REV_02\3&13C0B0C5&0&FD
I/O Port 0x0000E000-0x0000E0FF
I/O Port 0x0000DC00-0x0000DC3F
Memory Address 0xDFFFFA00-0xDFFFFBFF
Memory Address 0xDFFFF900-0xDFFFF9FF
IRQ Channel IRQ 17
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\ac97ich4.sys (5.10.3552 built by: WinDDK, 105.25 KB (107,776 bytes), 1/2/2007 10:04 AM)

Name SoundTap Recorder
Manufacturer NCH Swift Sound
Status OK
PNP Device ID ROOT\MEDIA\0000
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nchssvad.sys (1.0.0.0, 23.06 KB (23,616 bytes), 10/19/2007 2:56 PM)

I use the space bar and hold it down while talking in the PTT mode only!

I have the latest version of your CQ100 installed but it was locking up with a double before and after the new install.

My Internet connection is High speed cable & the system is called Roadrunner and the network is called Bright-House in Tampa, FL.

If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

Johnny Brewer / WA4FU
#6     Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:58 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Johnny,

Many thanks for this detailed information. You system sounds very similar to mine. Just one thing: I do not recognize the SoundTap recorder. If this a second sound card in addition to the onboard Intel?

I think the biggest clue you give is the fact that you hold the space bar down. It is likely this bug is caused my holding the space bar down. Try putting the mode to "PTT / PTL" and just tap the space bar... or just click the PTT button with your mouse. Don't hold the spacebar down and don't hold the mouse down. I hope this procedure will solve the problem.

When the server detects you are doubling, it sends a command to raise your PTT button, but your keyboard held down is repeating the space bar press several times per second, so the server keeps sending un-key commands and your space bar keeps sending re-key commands. This rapid battling may be causing stack overflow error. It is just a theory but give it a test.

Most people do not hold the space bar down, so that would explain why so many people never see this problem.

73, Doug
#7     Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:25 pm
WA4FU
Tampa, FL

Hi again Doug

I'm not 100% sure but I think I am using the sound system that came built into my Motherboard but I will take the side off today to make sure. In the back of my mind I seem to remember buying a Gforce 400 sound card but am unsure what computer I used it on. I am also wondering if the Sound Tap Recorder may have something to do with the Dazzle Video Creator that is attached to my system! I just don't know but will try to find out and let you know.

AS far as using the space bar as a PTT button it is just more natural for me to use it that way but I can be reprogrammed! :lol:

On the so called real radio I have really embarrassed myself on more than one occasion by using PTT lock on the Mic or VOX, so I promised myself I would always use PTT and hope the button has a 50 LB return spring! :wink: But I will try using the mouse and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for your attention to this matter and for a really cool way of communicating with Amateur's around the world.

Johnny Brewer / WA4FU
#8     Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:18 am
WA4FU
Tampa, FL

Subject: Post subject: Freeze up when doubling

Doug I am using the Intel sound that came on my MB. I have been talking to different people that are experiencing this same problem and the computers vary to just about every name brand as well as the homebuilt. The Operating systems vary from 98, 98SE, XP, XP Pro, Vista, so from this, I don't think it is an end user equipment problem. I also found that most people are using PTT/PTL and the rest are using PTT but with the mouse and they are all still getting locked out while doubling.

WA4FU
Johnny Brewer

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.