Archive

Topic: Prog Lockup. (36 replies)
#21     Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:04 am
GW4DTQ
PRESTATYN NWALES UK.

Subject: CQ100 LOCKUP..

Hi.All, Being No.21 on the membership list I suppose I was one of the first to have this problem.and read with interest the help given by others.
I kept deleting progs..one by one but the problem stayed I then tryed reloading XP on top of the original which I don't think the idea works especially if there is maybe a corrupted file XP using this method would not repair the faulty file..So that didn't work..
I took the cowards way out and reformatted the HDD. and replaced all Progs.. that didn't want to work either..So I reformatted the HDD again this time I installed my Modem first followed by CQ100 fired the internet up then logged on with CQ100 and Hey Presto it's worked 100% since with all my other progs..installed..That's my findings at this end well worth a try..

Good Luck 73s de Duncan GW4DTQ... :D
#22     Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:52 am
W3DBG
Gaithersburg, MD

Subject:

Hi Duncan,

I am unsure of what you did to fix the problem.

I am on an always on cable internet connection as follows: Internet -> cable modem -> router -> computer -> software firewall -> CQ100

In your posting: "I installed my Modem first followed by CQ100 fired the internet up then logged on with CQ100"

Can you clarify this and suggest how this procedure could be adapted to my situation?

TIA
Jim
#23     Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:15 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Lockup

Before reformatting your HDD you might want to try a utility called SFC, or System File Checker. You will need your Windows XP disk in the CD. From the CMD prompt type "SFC /scannow". It may take 30 minutes or so to run. It examines each and every system file and if corrupt, replaces it with the right one from the CD.

The TCP stack can be overwritten and replaced but I don't recommend it for the faint of heart.

This should be part of a reasonable maintenance schedule anyway.

Other things to try: Run CHKDSK /F from the CMD command. You may have to reboot. Install CQ100 in a different profile and try it.
Set your computer to a restore proint previous to the installation of CQ100 and then reinstall. Make sure you have done a hard reset of your cable modem and/or router.

If none of this helps then you may have a corrupt TCP stack.
If so it can be fixed but I decline to discuss it here. Email me please.

Of course most of this assumes you are using Windows XP.
This is NOT an issue with CQ100. It is an environmental issue which cannot be controlled by the developer.

Good luck.

73 Happy Holidays

If it doesn't fix this problem it may fix some others :)
#24     Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:39 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Although this problem is not the fault of CQ100, the CQ100 program should be able to handle unexpected problems gracefully without locking up. We are trying to find any possible endless loops that might freeze the program under some error conditions.

73 Doug
#25     Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:40 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject:

VE3EFC wrote:
Although this problem is not the fault of CQ100, the CQ100 program should be able to handle unexpected problems gracefully without locking up. We are trying to find any possible endless loops that might freeze the program under some error conditions.

73 Doug

OK Doug Please pass your solutions on to Microsoft :lol:
#26     Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:38 am
W3DBG
Gaithersburg, MD

Subject:

Why are some folks so certain that the program lock-up of CQ100 during attempted band changing is not CQ100's fault?

My machine has at least 100 applications which access the TCP stack to communicate over the internet, including a dozen VoIP programs.
None of these cause any problems.

Additionally, for what it is worth, I have in excess of 2700 ini files, and more than 6800 exe files on my machine.
None of my programs have locked up, nor have I encountered an instance (other than CQ100) where a process could not be terminated using XP's Windows Task Manager.

I have tried all of W7RJR's suggestions as posted and as kindly emailed to me, and others of my own, as well as suggested by others.
None have worked.

When one has taken the extreme approach of reformatting the HD and re-installing programs as was done by GW4DTQ and the problem still remained, what does that tell us?

I have another related issue (which may need to be posted elsewhere), and that is: If this program problem is not fixed by the time my trial runs out, what happens?
Do I pay for a subscription to a service for which I can only access 20% (one band, not five)?
If I do pay, where is the incentive to fix the problem?
If I don't pay, how will I know if a new version of CQ100 will fix the problem, as I will be both unable to download it, or use it.
#27     Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:13 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject:

W3DBG wrote:
Why are some folks so certain that the program lock-up of CQ100 during attempted band changing is not CQ100's fault?

There is no absolute way to be certain; however, I have conducted a test with a station suffering the same problem. Substitution of a different computer on the same network connection allowed CQ100 to function perfectly. What should that tell you?

There could be inconsistencies in the bios, registry or some DLL that has been installed on your computer. Perhaps there is a problem with your RAM or swap file. The list goes on and on. It is *highly* unlikely to be the fault of the executable. If reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows cleanly does not solve the problem then there is likely an issue external to your computer, perhaps a router or ISP issue. In that case, take your computer to a friends house and hook it up to his network connection. Does it work there?

There are many things that can be done to isolate the problem, but how far do you want to go with it? Is it worth the effort? I would accept the challenge and then feel fulfilled when I got it working.

#28     Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:57 pm
VO1MI
St. Johns, NL Canada

Subject:

As I reported in a previous post, my CQ100 has been working perfectly since I played around with the TCP/IP connection. However, several days after it started working correctly, I tried Skype and found that it was not working - it kept dropping my calls and when a connection was made the audio was very distorted. I spent several days off and on trying to fix that problem. Today I downloaded and ran a TCP/Winsock fix program and right away my Skype program began to work perfectly. Later when I switched on CQ100, I found that I again was experencing the same problem that I had earlier, viz. unable to switch to another frequency. The only way I could resolve THAT problem was go back to an earlier restore point. Now I have CQ100 working but not Skype. It is my opinion that the trouble is with the TCP/Winsock components but how to get it repaired so that both programs will work is beyond me. Any advice, anyone?
#29     Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:21 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Winsock

There are several versions of Winsock out there, with I believe 2.2 being the latest. No telling which one is compatible with CQ100 versus SKYPE. I think I read somewhere that there was a conflict between the two programs, quite possibly relating to the winsock version.

Perhaps Doug can provide us with a bit more info as to which version is correct?
#30     Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:23 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

When I right click on c:\windows\system32\ws2_32.dll
I see the file version is 5.1.2600.2180

This is Windows XP Home.
The file name ws2_32 means it is Winsock 2 for 32 bit.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.