Gaithersburg, MD

Subject:

My XP home (SP-2) system has these components installed:
Client for Microsoft Networks
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Only the TCP/IP component is common to VO1MI's list

Perhaps if others with this (program lock-up) problem would post their installed networking components, we might isolate the cause of this mystery.
#12     Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:04 pm
VO1MI
St. Johns, NL Canada

Subject:

I've taken off the first four components and have kept only the last two and CQ100 is still working ok. Looks like the removal of Internet Protocol TCP/IP and reinstalling it did the trick. Must have had a corrupt file originally. Hopefully I can now enjoy the program without the computer locking up. If this works for anyone else I would like to know.

Boyd
#13     Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:14 pm
W3DBG
Gaithersburg, MD

Subject:

May I suggest that before tinkering with any important settings, such as the installed networking components, one should set a system restore point (xp) in case one needs to revert to the previous configuration.
#14     Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:38 am
ZL3BCO
Nelson, NZ

Subject:

Well I finally succombed and re-installed Win XP over the top of the other one so it left all the applications and settings intact. Still locks up when I change band.

I can honestly say that if anyone can find a cure for this I can definitely prove if it works because it fails the instant I change band.

I run Skype and Echolink OK so its down to the experts now. Only 80 days left. Its being so cheerfull that keeps me going!
Brian
#15     Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:15 pm
VO1MI
St. Johns, NL Canada

Subject:

The program is still working fine for me after I reinstalled the TCP/IP connection in the Network Connection of Windows XP. Make sure you create a restore point for your Windows just in case you run into problems. I would like to know if anybody else tried my solution and got it to work.
#16     Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:23 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

It would be intersting to learn if other people who cannot band switch also have Netware (NWLINK) installed.
#17     Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:28 pm
W3DBG
Gaithersburg, MD

Subject:

Hi again. I did try VO1MI's approach, but it messed up my connection, and I reverted to an earlier restore point.

I have also tried disabling Kerio (software firewall), Avast (anti-virus), XP firewall (either Kerio or XP - never both simultaneously) in all combinations and still get the same lock-up.

I had the idea of seeing if on program launch I could go to a band other than 20m, (remember I can't switch out of 20m without the lock-up problem) but found that these settings are in the registry, not in an ini file or config file in the CQ100 folder, which is where I'd like to see them.
Not wishing to mess with the registry settings, I abandoned this approach.

Is there a possiblity that the program could avoid writing to the registry?

If not, can someone post the registry settings to initialize the program in a band other than 20m?

I'd like to see if I could switch from say 40m to another band.

Jim
#18     Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:55 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

"You should never use an INI file. Ever. Ever. For any reason. And here’s the reasons why:"

http://ramblings.aaronballman.com/?p=623

73, Doug
#19     Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:43 pm
W3DBG
Gaithersburg, MD

Subject:

Interesting link - however, that page actually gives numerous counter-examples and reasons not to write to the registry.

In any event, real programmers program in tight assembly code - no need for dozens of dependencies, nor glib answers :-)

Q. Is there a possibility that the program could avoid writing to the registry?

A. (apparently not) What a stupid question for a mere user and potential customer to ask!

Q. If not, can someone post the registry settings to initialize the program in a band other than 20m?

A. ????

Perhaps this user should give up on trying to troubleshoot and assist in fixing this problem.

I can just about guarantee that it is more widespread than a few reported cases.

If the developer can't fix it, who can?
Jim
#20     Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:14 am
ZL3BCO
Nelson, NZ

Subject:

I would like to ask VO1MI how he re-installed TCP/IP in Windows XP. It is an integral part of WindowsXP. You can add other TCP/IP protocols, but you cannot remove it. As stated before, I re-installed WinXP and that had no effect. Would that have re-installed TCP/IP, I think so.

I just have File and Printer Sharing for microsoft networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Its WinXP Home SP2, LAN'd to a Link-Sys router.

I'm willing to try any other suggestions, but none of the previous has worked so far. I will try killing QSOnet and fresh installing it, that might work I suppose!

73 Brian

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.