Archive

Topic: Bad transmit audio - Star Wars Effect (10 replies)
#1     Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:19 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Bad transmit audio - Star Wars Effect

I just installed the CQ100 program today 10/1/06. Several stations I worked reported 'intermittent' disturbances in my transmitted audio that sounded like digitized audio out of sync.

I have used Echolink and other VOIP program for years using the same setup. No changes made recently. I have made sure that I had no other VOIP programs or sound related programs running in the background.
I have made sure my firewall allows connection IN and OUT to the executable on all TCP ports.

The fact that it is an intermittent problem leads me to believe it is an issue with the server. Please advise.

#2     Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:52 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

I heard this problem when you were in qso on 14.240 Mhz. It sounds very bad then it clears up and sounds perfect. I heard the problem twice before, always on 14.240. At first I thought those two Spanish stations were experimenting with some voice-changing effects.

Its very difficult to fix this if we cannot duplicate it here. It could be client side or server side. Its like the packets are being encrypted or re-compressed by some other program. The voice packets are the correct size or they would not play any sound. However the packets contain the wrong information.

The server is very dumb. It simply bounces every voice packet it hears back to all the listeners on that frequency. I don't think the server can make this strange effect within each packet.

What language is your Windows set to? This might be a clue. Have you installed any optional codecs or encryption programs? What make is your sound card? I hope we can solve this.
#3     Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:01 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject:

No optional encryption or codecs installed here other than those that come with with windows media player. The sound card is a sound blaster Live. I would suspect this more of a TCP/IP packet issue then I would an actual audio issue.

I am going to install the CQ100 program on my laptop and see if there is any difference. I'll report back.

73, Bob
W7RJR
#4     Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:16 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: CNN pipeline?

One thing I overlooked is that I have installed CNN Pipleline software on both of my computers. I don't know if this installed a CODEC or anything that might interfere with the software. If my laptop is flaky as well, I will uninstall CNN pipeline and see if it makes a difference.

Bob
W7RJR
#5     Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:59 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Problem is client side

Switching to my laptop cured the problem. Apparently there is something installed/uninstalled on my desktop machine creating this problem.
It is clearly not an audio or soundcard issue.

If anyone would like to experiment a bit with me to determine what the problem is let me know.

You can reach me at w7rjr@arrl.net

Bob, W7RJR
#6     Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:56 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Bob. Thanks for doing this testing and providing good information about the problem. I am thinking it could be a problem with the GSM6.10 codec, or the sound card. If you try setting the Mode switch to KEYER, the sound is generated without using the sound card, but the GSM6.10 codec is still used to compress the CW tone before sending it TCP. If the problem never occurs using keyer, then we know the problem is something about the sound card. I use SoundBlaster Live and many other people are using it too. If the problem occurs on CW, we know its either the codec or the TCP winsock. Does your ISP use a proxy server?

Here is an idea... Do you hear your own voice when you talk into the mic? Click the white question mark and open mixer for audio OUTPUT. Be sure the mic is muted on this mixer. Next open the mixer for audio INPUT and be sure MIC is selected there.
#7     Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:32 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: TX audio

Doug

One test I conducted with a station seemed to indicate that the CW tone was coming through fine while the voice wasn't, but...since the problem is rapidly intermittent it's hard to say what state things were in when I switched.

My ISP does not use a proxy server. No, don't hear my own voice when I speak into the MIC.

Since this soundcard works perfectly with every other internet enabled and VOIP program I'm not sure what could be wrong with the card.
Would be interesting to hear from others that may experience the same problem.

#8     Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:39 am
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: More Bad TX audio

Discovered that I am not alone with this odd problem. Heard VA3CRL, Chris on today with the same problem...digitized garbage for TX audio.
Also QSO'ed with a K9 station about a week ago with the same problem.

Sure would be nice if this could be fixed!
#9     Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:20 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Bob. I have not heard this problem from you lately, so I thought you got it fixed. I heard your qso with Chris today and it was really bad. The only other time I heard this was Jorge CE3GEI.

I heard Jorge for a few weeks fighting with this problem. Now he has it solved, so I was interested when he broke in an tried to explain it. His English was difficult so I had a few emails with him later today finding out exactly what he did. He replaced his soundblaster live card with a soundblaster audigy. I know many people including me are using SoundBlaster Live with no problem. I wonder if the sound card needs a driver upgrade. These driver upgrades are available on the manufacturers web site.

My Sound Blaster Live is using driver version 5.12.1.203
#10     Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:11 am
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: RE: Digitized TX audio

Hi Doug

Thanks for the reply.

I use a different computer, so it's not really a problem for me anymore.
I am surely curious as to just what causes the problem. Perhaps it is the soundcard hardware/firmwire/driver. Hope a solution is found for those who cannot buy/use a different soundcard.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.