Archive

Topic: Probs with Drop out after 15 seconds - not ISP (4 replies)
#1     Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:09 pm
M0FOG
Biddulph

Subject: Probs with Drop out after 15 seconds - not ISP

I seem to have problems with my signal/audio dropping out after 15 seconds. I have monitored my cable and it is not that. This firs occurred 2nd April and has not cleared. Does anone have any suggestions please. Thanks. M0FOG - Foggy.
#2     Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:49 am
DG7LAE
Luebeck

Subject:

You may have a big download stream for files ( mine was about 4600 kb/s) and nethertheless you notice packet losses , both are different things . So it may be up to your provider anyway .

Second reason may be if you changed anything at the tcp settings by installing a software what says it would improve your internet speed / connections .
Such softwares do not always work good , tested several and got aware that exactly these speed up tools are the reason for getting packet losses though the download speed improved . After changing settings back to it was before , the speed went down a bit again but at the same time no packet losses anymore . Further tests showed me that even very small changes can result in severe effects on both speed and packet losses or either one of it .

If you are interested to find out more you may read info at http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
download the tcp optimizer which gives you lots of possibilities to check and also offers standard settings to get back to windows standards .

73 Uli
#3     Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:55 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

This sounds like your ISP is "shaping" your useage. AFter 15 seconds they detect you are using streaming audio which they don't like so they block it. I think the British Tiscali acually boasts how their shaping leaves more room on the system for faster web browsing. I googled some information about this problem. The shaping is used at times when their system is overloaded. They have sold more connections than they can handle.
#4     Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:16 pm
M0FOG
Biddulph

Subject:

Douglas and Uli, thank you Gentlemen. It is now apparent that Douglas is correct on this issue. My Internet becomes slower by the day. It has got so desperate that I spent a while on the HF Bands today, total waste of time. I will have to wait until NTL sort out this issue. I dare not transmit on CQ100, I constantly break and lock up. I will monitor the situation. In those famous "I will be back". Thank you once again for your advice and help. Nigel - M0FOG. (Foggy).
#5     Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:15 am
DG7LAE
Luebeck

Subject:

Sorry to hear that , Nigel .

You may look for a different ISP at your location as I had the same problem but only for a period of 3 weeks but heard such problems by others in my area having an other isp and there it took 6 months before it even improved slightly . We are so lucky to have about 10 different ISP here so that a quick change is no problem .

Wish you good luck ,

Uli

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.