Archive

Topic: Is my ISP playing Games (9 replies)
#1     Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:35 am
G1KOT
Basildon

Subject: Is my ISP playing Games

I have noticed that my rcv audio is being stopped during peak hours on Tiscali, any one else getting this. i noticed that at around 18:00 i could not get any sound from CQ100 although everything else was fine - i have a tiscali 8mb dsl connection.
I restarted the app a few times but all the same everything was fine, signals being shown, switching bands, but no audio could be received.

then just around 23:00 it all started working, i did not restart my machine or change any settings.

1, is there an issue with CQ100
2, or is my ISP playing around and stopping traffic?

although is did see some connecting to server message briefly on the radio menu

All time are GMT and tiscali is a UK ISP provider, I also use a netgear wireless router, but the Cq100 pc is connected direct.

Mike
#2     Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:21 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

I heard this same problem (1800Z) before from British stations.

http://www.qsonet.com/qbb/viewtopic.php?t=556
http://www.qsonet.com/qbb/viewtopic.php?t=588
http://www.qsonet.com/qbb/viewtopic.php?t=52

73, Doug
#3     Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:38 pm
G0UUU
Scarborough

Subject:

I read somewhere on the net that Tiscali have been blocking ports and also they use traffic shaping at peak times. In other words they haven't got enough capacity so they give priority to web browsing, email etc but throttle other things.
#4     Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:49 pm
G1KOT
Basildon

Subject:

Yes i think you are correct .. i' think i'll move from tiscali when my 12 month runs out, nice having 8 mb, but problems with email delivery every weeka and noe throttling me is a pain in the a*se.

even echolink is blocked, working fine the other day, loaded it up 21h sunday and could not get connection..

nothign changed and no other machines running so either isp issue or cq100 and echolink have an issue at the same time.
#5     Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:27 am
G1KOT
Basildon

Subject: Tiscali

Confirmed Tiscali have a problem with bandwidth, supposed to be increased in mid april, until them it's no access for me during peek times.. :-(
#6     Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:08 pm
G1GDB
Bothel, Wigton, Cumbria. ca7 2hz

Subject:

Hello Mike,
am also on Tiscali, and get the same thing as well, I have 2 meg broadband, and I can see the spikes, but no audio, I am at the minute complaining to the server people, keep complaining to then as they will then do something about it.
I did this with Echo link and this now works ok.
I am trying to find out the ports it uses as well as UDP, so i can inform them to get it sorted out.

Hope this is of help to you.
#7     Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:47 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Here is some info about Ports...
http://www.qsonet.com/qbb/viewtopic.php?t=320

QsoNet does not use any UDP. Everything comes in over a single TCP connection initiated from your end. The spike data consists of bytes randomly mixed in among the voice data bytes. Its all one continuous stream of bytes. If you are getting a spike refresh every 5 seconds, you should also be getting voice data. Maybe its just so slow that one word of voice takes 5 minutes.

There is no way Tiscali can be removing the voice and leaving the spikes. Its all a continous mix of random bytes travelling on the same connection.
#8     Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:37 am
G1KOT
Basildon

Subject:

Tiscali have a second set of DNS addresses that you can use and i have seen this posted elsewhere, this enabled me to get connection to CQ100 but it is still suffering from audio drop outs so not perfect, and echolink seems to be working on these alternative DNS setting. i really is an isp packet shapping issue, 22:05 it all started working fine.

tiscali closed my ticket stating that engineers are aware and unable to give current resolution date.

:-(
#9     Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:04 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

This discussion makes me think how lucky I am to be living in a modern country where healthy marketplace competition is encouraged by governments. If my ISP tried this nonsense, they would have zero customers by 10 o'clock the next morning.

It appears that Britian is very much a "third-world" country when it comes to internet connectivity.
#10     Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:12 pm
G0UUU
Scarborough

Subject:

VE3EFC wrote:
This discussion makes me think how lucky I am to be living in a modern country where healthy marketplace competition is encouraged by governments. If my ISP tried this nonsense, they would have zero customers by 10 o'clock the next morning.

It appears that Britian is very much a "third-world" country when it comes to internet connectivity.
There are some good ISP's in the UK but as you say there are some bad ones as well. I guess Tiscali get away with what they're doing as the bulk of their customers just use them for basic things like web browsing, email etc. I can highly recommend Zen internet who are my ISP, been with them for over a year with an 8Mb connection, they've been 100% reliable and they don't block ports or shape traffic, the only downside is they cost 24.99/month for an 8Mb connection with 20GB of downloads, but I guess you get what you pay for.
This site http://www.thinkbroadband.com is good for comparing UK ISP's before you sign up, their forums are also excellent for getting opinions from customers of ISP's you may be interested in signing up to.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.