Archive

Topic: When CQ100 loaded, then CWGET/MMTTY cant access sound-card (8 replies)
#1     Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:54 pm
VK6CP
Perth WA

Subject: When CQ100 loaded, then CWGET/MMTTY cant access sound-card

The sound card in my Win 2000 Dell laptop is a Crystal WDM Audio card.

When I start CQ100 all is well transmitting cw via the MIC-IN socket.

However if I then load CWGET, I get the error message “Attempted to open with an unsupported waveform-audio format”.

If I load CWGET before CQ100, I cannot transmit but can receive.

Similarly when I’ve loaded CQ100 then load MMTTY, the error message is “Can’t open sound-card (-1)".

There is not an updated driver listed for the Crystal WDM card but have downloaded and re-installed the driver again with no result and there are no conflicts reported.

The audio codecs installed in the laptop are::- IMA ADPCM Audio CODEC, Microsoft ADPCM Audio Codec, Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio CODEC, DSP Group TrueSpeech™ Audio CODEC, lhacm acm, msg723.acm, Indeo audio software, Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec, Microsoft PCM Converter.
All these codecs are installed, enabled and functioning properly.

Any hints where I go from here, thanks.
#2     Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:35 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Re: When CQ100 loaded, then CWGET/MMTTY cant access sound-ca

VK6CP wrote:
The sound card in my Win 2000 Dell laptop is a Crystal WDM Audio card.

When I start CQ100 all is well transmitting cw via the MIC-IN socket.

Why are you using the MIC-IN connection for CW transmission? What is connected to the MIC-IN connection?

Have you tried a clean reinstall of CQ100? Does the sound card recorder in windows function OK?
#3     Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:30 am
VK6CP
Perth WA

Subject: Re: When CQ100 loaded, then CWGET/MMTTY cant access sound-ca

Quote:
Why are you using the MIC-IN connection for CW transmission? What is connected to the MIC-IN connection?
Have you tried a clean reinstall of CQ100? Does the sound card recorder in windows function OK?

My laptop does not have a line-in socket, only mic-in and a lead direct from output of my keyer to mic-in doesn't trigger. So improvising.. I've extended the spkr from my keyer to a home-made sound box which contains a mic.

Just tried the Windows sound recorder, it records fine from my keyer via the mic. But does not record output from CQ100 stating: DEVICE OPEN ERROR. Your audio hardware cannot record into files like the current file. To record, create a new document.
Hmmm.

Just uninstalled CQ100 - downloaded a fresh copy from QSONET and installed. Problem still occurs.

BTW the heading on the error message from CWGET is "Device Open Error"

I welcome any other thoughts on this, thanks. Lorenzo
#4     Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:39 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Could this be a half duplex sound card? Once, I accidently set my sound card to half duplex on Windows Control Panel and I was getting all kinds of errors.

I noticed a strange thing about CWGET when I try to run it simultaneous with Digipan. I must start the CWGET after I start the Digipan. If CWGET is already running, Digipan gets no audio.

73 Doug
#5     Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:52 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Sound card

Does CQ100 function OK with just a micropohone connected to the input of the sound card? (e.g. remove the home made sound box). Does every sound related program work OK with a microphone when CQ100 is not running?

How are your inputs setup in the sound mixer? The errors you note indicate the sound card is having trouble with the waveform it is receiving.
Are there any entries in the event viewer?
#6     Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:28 pm
VK6CP
Perth WA

Subject: Re: Sound card

W7RJR wrote:
Does CQ100 function OK with just a micropohone connected to the input of the sound card? (e.g. remove the home made sound box). Does every sound related program work OK with a microphone when CQ100 is not running?

Yes, CQ100 functions fine on its own with mic plugged into mic-input of internal sound card, it's only when I give the sound card additional tasks such as cwget that it falls down.

Quote:
How are your inputs setup in the sound mixer? The errors you note indicate the sound card is having trouble with the waveform it is receiving.
Are there any entries in the event viewer?

I have 'use mixer features on this device' enabled and the recording control microphone is ticked/selected with mic boost.
There are no entries in the event viewer pertaining to this problem.

Quote:
Could this be a half duplex sound card?

Interesting point - I came across this info on a google search:- ' and Crystal WDM Audio 1 sound card. My problem is that I am not able to voice chat. The system gives error of sound card being half-duplex.
(The answer was:-) Half Duplex cards are quite old now. Now majority of cards are full duplex. It is true that for effective voice communication on the Internet, you need to have a full duplex sound card. So, the best solution to your problem is to change your sound card with a full duplex.'

So am I right in thinking that in loading 2 programs to access the sound card (ie cq100 and cwget), if my sound card is half-duplex, I need a full duplex card ? If this is right, I think we've got somewhere. Thanks for your input fellas. = Lorenzo
#7     Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:17 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

VK6CP wrote:
So am I right in thinking that in loading 2 programs to access the sound card (ie cq100 and cwget), if my sound card is half-duplex, I need a full duplex card ? If this is right, I think we've got somewhere. Thanks for your input fellas. = Lorenzo

A Full Duplex sound card allows simultaneous use of the input and output modes, e.g. use the microphone and speaker at the same time(like the telephone). Could be your card is half-duplex or that it is configured only as half-duplex. If CQ100 is receiving, then a half-duplex sound card would not allow you to input audio at the same time.

Perhaps it's time to upgrade?
#8     Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:06 pm
VK6CP
Perth WA

W7RJR wrote:
[Could be your card is half-duplex or that it is configured only as half-duplex. Perhaps it's time to upgrade?

OK - how does one configure a sound card to work as a half-duplex or full-duplex? In Win2000, Control Panel - Sounds and Multimedia Properties, Audio tab, 1) volume and 2) Advanced Audio Properties which only has options of speaker setup and acceleration performance for my Crystal WDM card.
Thanks
#9     Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:50 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

VK6CP wrote:
- how does one configure a sound card to work as a half-duplex or full-duplex?
Thanks

It would usually be configured from the properties tab on your sound card driver. Lacking this option it is likely non-configurable. There is a remote possibility there is a jumper on your soundcard. My Sound Blaster Audigy 4 (fairly new) does not offer me such a driver selection either.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.