Topic: no receive audio (25 replies)
#11     Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:49 pm
G8FYH
Colchester. UK

Subject:

:roll:
No GSM 6.10 anywhere on my computer.
At least, not as far as I can see.
More help would be appreciated as CQ100 works on my laptop but not on this one.
Laurie G8FYH :arrow:
#12     Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:02 pm
G8FYH
Colchester. UK

Subject:

:shock:
Interesting discovery

The Laptop running XP Pro, on which CQ100 will work, has GSM 6.10 located in Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - Hardware - Audio Codecs - properties. The Tower system running XP home, on which CQ100 does NOT work, does not have GSM 6.10. Two questions :-
Could this be the reason it will not work?
Can I put GSM 6.10 on without it messing up the whole system?

#13     Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:01 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

GSM 6.10 has been part of the default Windows installation since 95. I have never lost it, so I never had to find a way to get it back :) There must be some way to add and remove codecs.
#14     Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:16 pm
G0GEB
WHALEY BRIDGE

Subject: Re: No Receive audio

G8FYH wrote:
I see a few others are having the same problem as me. Everything appears to work with the exception of the rx audio, no S meter movement and no audio. audio works fine with all other applications that require it. any clues???
Thanks Laurie G8FYH
This only happens at peak time say 5pm till 9.00pm, other times it works fine. my server is Tiscali.co.uk.
g0geb@tiscali.co.uk Pat
#15     Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:32 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Are you tuned to a blue spike when you test the audio? Do you see the stations callsign while the audio is failing? Do you hear the static when squelch is off? What version of Windows?

73, Doug
#16     Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:08 am
G8FYH
Colchester. UK

Subject:

Hi Doug.
Q. - Am I tuned to a spike when testing Audio?
A. - Yes, the transmitting stations callsign and details appear on my screen.
Q. - Do you hear the static when squelch is off?
A. - There is a slight background noise when no station is present, this noise goes when a station transmits
Q. - What version Windows?
A. - Windows XP home edition SP2 (OEM version as supplied with computer)

The problem appears to be the lack of the Audio Compression/Decompression software known as GSM 6.10 on my computer. Apparently whichever codec is used to compress CQ100 must be present on the receiving computer to Decompress the audio. Hence, in my case, no GSM 6.10 = no Rx audio.

Hope this information is of some use.

#17     Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:29 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Laurie,
Based on your answers, I will agree with you diagnosis.

You are successfully receiving the audio data but it is unable to play because it cannot find the codec. The background squelch hiss does not use the codec so you hear it.

If you can transmit but not receive, the codec is installed somewhere on the computer. Does your S meter bounce when you do a test transmission? Both transmit and receive use this same codec.

73 Doug
#18     Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:55 am
G8FYH
Colchester. UK

Subject:

Hi Doug.

Thanks for the reply although I'm not sure I agree entirely.
Could it be that my transmit audio is using an available Codec that is installed and this is being decompressed at the far end by the receiving computer that happens to have that particular type of Codec on board?

The three Codecs installed on this computer are :-
1. - Fraunhoffer IIS MPEG Layer 3 Codec
2. - Lernout and Hauspie Codecs
3. - Microsoft PCM Converter

The Laptop, on which CQ100 will work, has a whole list of Codecs, including GSM 6.10

#19     Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:33 am
G8FYH
Colchester. UK

Subject:

:D

Cracked It!!!
Have now got GSM 6.10 installed and CQ100 working. Thanks to a lot of help from G8OQW who gave me some valuable information and helped the process along.
Anybody still having problems and think that they may also be missing the CODEC GSM 6.10 email me (details QRZ.com) and I will send the details of the way it was achieved here.

#20     Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:45 pm
G3ZXX
Wincanton

Subject: Re: No Receive audio

G0GEB wrote:

G8FYH wrote:
I see a few others are having the same problem as me. Everything appears to work with the exception of the rx audio, no S meter movement and no audio. audio works fine with all other applications that require it. any clues???
Thanks Laurie G8FYH
This only happens at peak time say 5pm till 9.00pm, other times it works fine. my server is Tiscali.co.uk.
g0geb@tiscali.co.uk Pat

Hi,

I guess I'm having the same problem - can see signal spikes, but no rx audio, no station id, and no S meter reading. Problem starts to appear at about 1030 to 1100 each morning, and gradually clears at about midnight each night. Unfortunately, I like to sleep at night, and go to work at about 7 each morning.

I have put it down to my ISP, TISCALI, having a C**P system. I have an upto 2MB account, the exchange is only OK to this level, but the fastest download speed I've seen is around 720 K. Typically, its a lot slower around 300 K. I've also done various speed / bandwidth checks, linking to Canada, and all seem OK until the test signal hits the Tisacali network. I've been using VoIP Traceroute Analysis on the BRIX NETWORKS web site.

Seeing that you are also with Tiscali, I wondered if you managed to get the problem resolved ?

I wonder if it is just Tiscali users who are having the problems ?

Cheers
Dave, G3ZXX (g3zxx@lycos.co.uk)

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.