Archive

Topic: CW Keying Direct via Sound Card?? (4 replies)
#1     Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:31 pm
G0SDD
Forest of Dean

Subject: CW Keying Direct via Sound Card??

Hi,
Can anyone explain to me how I can key directly with my morse key/keyer to the cq100. I have a vibroplex single paddle key and an MFJ 401D keyer unit with sidetone. I am using it with an open mike at present and would like to key via my external soundcard (without destroying it!),which is a Creative Sound Blaster(USB).
Thank you in anticipation, Chris James.
#2     Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:03 pm
W0NBP
Ottumwa, Iowa

Subject:

Hello Chris

This is what worked for me. I used my bencher paddle into a MFJ 452 keyer which has an audio output. I then run the audio output into the line in of the sound card of my laptop. Adjust levels of sound card to get a good S-9 on the S-Meter and .... Walah... perfect keying.

Any keyer with an audio output or extension speaker jack should work. The key is getting sound levels adjusted with sound card controls. If the input sound level is not adjusted right you could overload your soundcard and cause some problems. Remember to start with low vollume on keyer then work up till you find the right spot.

Hope this works for you...

Bill
W0NBP
#3     Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:09 am
G0SDD
Forest of Dean

Subject: Keying Direct through Soundcard?

Hi Bill,
Thanks a lot for the information on keying direct and advice on sound card levels. I will try this and post a reply to you on the result.
73 de Chris.
#4     Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:44 am
G0SDD
Forest of Dean

Subject: Keying Direct through Soundcard?

Hello Bill (W0NBP),
I have successfully set up my elec Keyer for direct keying by using a stereo jack using a mono adaptor from the L/Sp output of the keyer, with the other end of the cable containing the stereo jack into the Line-in/Mic-in socket of the soundcard, so I would like to thank you for your assistance. I first omitted to uncheck the box in the Line-in/Mic-in section of the play control, but after carrying that out, all was fine. I have to re-check the box and remove the jack from the Line-in socket on the sound card to resume voice operation. It works, does it sound right to you?

73 de Chris.
#5     Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:14 am
W0NBP
Ottumwa, Iowa

Subject:

FB Chris

Glad you were able to get your keyer to work. Much better than trying to use the keyboard Hi!... I have phat phingers and can't type very fast.

I believe Doug McCormack has come up with a really nice inovation here. Although some are complaining that 'it is not ham radio', I believe that it is a splendid adjunct to ham radio. Just think of the thousands of hams who live in antenna restricted apartments. Another bonus is being able to QSO without QRM, QRN and QSB.... How good it that?

Besides its all about having fun.... right? And I'm having fun!

73 and enjoy...

Bill

de W0NBP

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.