Archive

Topic: No Connection to your Server (9 replies)
#1     Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:38 am
GI0JQQ
Ballycastle, Co Antrim

Subject: No Connection to your Server

:( Hi all, am a newbi to this mode, but i would like it to work, as yet I have not been able to get connected to your server, since I downloaded the software, some three days to date.

The error I get is "unable to connect to band server please restart the program" and yes I did restart the program, on many ocassions but to no avail, is there perhaps a tcpip address that I should put in, as it don't say in the help files. Great interface (the Radio) keep up the good work.
73 Ted
GI0JQQ
:cry:
#2     Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:02 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

This Error is almost always a firewall problem. Something on your computer is not allowing CQ100.exe to access the internet.

73 Doug
#3     Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:23 am
GI0JQQ
Ballycastle, Co Antrim

Subject:

Hi Doug
Thanx for reply. What ports does it need to see, obviously you will know this as you wrote the program, as it has been my experience in the past that software developers know what ports of a firewall their software uses.

Tnx agn Ted
#4     Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:19 pm
KE7HLS
Reno, NV, USA

Subject:

Agreed. Not knowing what ports are required is very frustrating. I can use QsoNet at home, but not some networks I connect with on the go. Please publish the ports so we can open them up or at least know what to look at and debug.

Steve KE7HLS
#5     Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:56 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Your computer connects to ports 24980 to 24985 on my server, depending on what band you choose. The IP Address is 66.98.148.39. These are my ports, not yours, so this information will be of no use to you. Its not a secret but I don't like to give out information that is not useful.

With any outbound TCP connection, your port is chosen at random by your system. This is how any web browser works. Your router is designed to allow incoming response over the same random port your system chose for outgoing.

If the CQ100 transceiver cannot connect to the Internet, it is likely your firewall needs to authorize CQ100.EXE to use the internet. The problem is not related to port forwarding. Port forwarding is meaningless for an outbound TCP connection.

The firewall that is built into Windows XP is no problem. Other firewalls like Norton. McAfee, ZoneAlarm and AOL need to be told to allow CQ100.EXE to use the internet. Often you will see an Error #103 or Error #22 if the transceiver cannot use your internet. If you upgrade the progam, you will need to reauthorize these firewalls.

If anyone finds my port numbers to be useful, please let me know.

73, Doug
#6     Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:07 am
G1GDB
Bothel, Wigton, Cumbria. ca7 2hz

Subject:

Hello Doug,
Thanks for the info you posted on this forum, i have passed it on to my ISP to try to get them to assist me, when the net is busy.
I think though they need to get a bigger bandwidth to help aout as well.
The ip address was very useuful.
Derek
G1GDB :lol:
#7     Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:34 pm
9W2RI
kuala lumpur

Subject:

Hi newbie here.

I can't log in to QsoNet.

Is there any chance i can key in my ip address and port no?
#8     Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:12 am
G7OJA
Kinder Scout Mountain, Derbyshi

Subject: ports 24980 to 24985 and firewalls

I can confirm that if you are sat behind a properly locked down firewall, you WILL need to open up outbound TCP to the range of ports 24980 to 24985. The IP address is also very useful to know (see below). I should add this is nothing at all to do with 'port forwarding' which seems to trip up so many other comms programs!

I use a Watchguard Firebox X500 at my office and I have had to add a 'rule' for this range of ports, to allow outbound connection. I have also set the rule to only allow these ports to talk to the target IP address of the CQ100 server. (This way, any untoward program (trojan/virus,etc) that may find it's way onto our network is extremely unlikely to hit upon this combination of TCP port and IP address when trying to get an outbound connection for itself). On a properly locked-down network, you would simply never allow all ports to be open through a firewall (indeed, why bother with one if you intend allowing this access!).

Hope this helps!
73's de Paul G7OJA
Kinder Mountain Rescue Team
Hayfield, Derbyshire, UK.
#9     Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:16 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Paul,

Most common firewalls and routers allow you make an outbound TCP request to any port on any IP address. They automatically open permission for you system to receive a response to your request ONLY for a few seconds, and ONLY from the same address and port you requested. All unexpected incoming packets are rejected. Most of these firewalls require you to authorize your .EXE program to use the internet. This seems to be enough protection for most people and its within their technical expertise. This does not mean you have allowed all ports to be open.

The type of "properly locked down", advanced firewall you describe means your internet is restricted to a list of pre-stored ports and destinations. These firewalls are beyond the technical capabilities of most ordinary people. With many peer-to-peer (voip) systems, it is impossible to know the incoming IP address and it may change from minute to minute.

My guru Leo Laporte says the best thing you can do is get behind a router, even if you are the only user. That combined with the Windows firewall is all the protection you need. If you wish to go further, be prepared for lots of aggravation.

73, Doug

#10     Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:22 am
G7OJA
Kinder Scout Mountain, Derbyshi

Subject:

Sorry Doug - I was certainly not trying to decry how CQ100 connected or confuse anyone else! :oops:

The only place I ever have trouble is from behind corporate firewalls, and now I have the port numbers and IP, it's quick for me to create an exception rule that allows the traffic through.

Yes, the Windows firewall provides the necessary outward connection when it needs to, this is how I then knew it was the company firewall blocking it (confirmed by checking the firewall rejection log).

I think that 99% of users will not be using CQ100 like this, and in my experience of IT security, the 1% that are, probably don't have an effective company security policy if it can connect outward straight away!
(In my book, any corp. firewall that does not have all ports blocked by default is not worth having nor spending money on).

Best 73's de Paul.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.