Archive

Topic: Sound card setup for Digital Mode Programs? (8 replies)
#1     Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:15 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject: Sound card setup for Digital Mode Programs?

I hope someone can give me the simple answer I am looking for here because I have tried to do it the hard way so far :? I am trying to get the program HamScope to work as the audio input to the CQ100. I may be looking at the concept backwards but so far I have had no luck in finding a setting or input device that allows me to control the audio output of Hamscope to the CQ100. Yes, my sound card is selected, and all the proper settings and selections I can think of have been suggested and tried. Microphones have been turned off, uplugged, you name it. So now that I have adjusted and selected everything under the sun here, where am I missing the boat? It is just something that I am not doing right. I am altimately trying to get PSK31 to work with Hamscope. My audio is overdriven and constant. For the few of you that have been successful with PSK, or any other audio driven mode, I welcome your input.

Thanks,
Steve - W0SDG
#2     Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:24 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

P.S. I might add that this little quirk is happening on my shack computer and my computer at work. Both are using XP Pro, loaded to the hilt with memory, etc., and faster then a speeding train out of control down a mountain side!!

Steve
#3     Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:57 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

As I experiment, I just discovered that the AF gain on the CQ100 actually controls the audio during transmit when using Hamscope, not the Mic Gain? It seems I have been messing around with the recording controls of the sound card and maybe should be working the Playback controls instead? As I mentioned earlier, I might be looking at this concept backwards.

Steve - W0SDG
#4     Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:08 am
G0DNI
Shrewsbury, UK

Subject:

I'm not familiar with Hamscope, but if you can you can hear the tones on you PC speaker, you can transmit them:

- Open the volume properties by double clicking on the loudspeaker icon at the bottom right of your screen (by the clock)

- Select Options/Properties/Recording in the volume properties window

- Make sure that all the boxes are ticked - click OK

- Tick the Stereo Mix box and don't close the properties box

- Fire up CQ100, and select VOX (not Keyer)

- Start sending code/data and you should see the meter needle moving, if so you are "on the air"

- Play around with the volume slider on the Stereo mix properties and the mic gain on the CQ100 to get the needle reading as you want it

- If you don't use VOX, you will have to select TX at the start of each over, and deselect at the end.

- Dont forget to make sure that you have your soundcard selected as the input on the CQ100 (click on the ? at the top left) and not your mic.
#5     Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:14 am
K9FB
Kokomo, Indiana

Subject:

Look on your recording mixer for a control labeled "Mono Mix", or "Stereo Mix" or "What You Hear" or something like that. Different audio drivers have different names for this control. If it is not showing on the recording mixer, you may have to enable it under Options -- Properties -- Recording in the main mixer window. When selecting this control, all sounds you hear in the speakers are directed onto the recording bus in the sound card and can be transmitted by the CQ100. Likewise, the sound you hear from the CQ100 will be directed onto the recording bus so that Hamscope can "hear" it.

#6     Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:01 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

Further Testing...

I still am having nearly the same problem, have done all the recommended suggestions and it seems to me to be a conflict of resources at the moment. Hamscope wants to use it's own soundcard settings and CQ100 wants to use it's own as well. If I am thinking this through correctly, both are actually set up in reverse??

Audio output on Hamscope is set with the WAVE slidder just as with using it on the real RF rig. Audio in is adjusted to what input the interface is plugged into on the computer, either the MIC or LINE IN plugins. When you combine both programs on the same computer, both the CQ100 and Hamscope need their own independent settings to operate correctly. So far I am not finding the correct combination that allows for that. Either I am way off base here or I am closer to figuring out my problem but not quite there yet. I think both programs need to have the STEREO MIX, or whatever, selected to receive properly. I am still playing around with the different combinations, so if there are any other thoughts on this "from experience please" I certainly welcome that, especially if your ideas can set my thinking straight!! I do have a hard time explaining what is going on in my head at times so I hope I am making some sense here.

Steve - W0SDG
#7     Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:11 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: RE: Hamscope

John K9FB has pretty much covered what you need to do. Problem is some soundcard drivers do not include the selections he refers to.
In that case, you must put a splitter on the soundcard output and then run a cable to the line input connector on your soundcard. Disable the Line Input selector on the PLAY option (otherwise you get feedback).

This should allow you to feed anything you hear back into the soundcard input and ultimately any program that uses it. This is a clumsy solution but will work.
#8     Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:28 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

Ok, I now have Hamscope working with CQ100. My sound card issues seem to be consistent with my USB camera/microphone combination. While is is plugged, it seems that the USB mic is constantly active and conflicts with the sound card settings. Once I disconnected it, I was able to follow the procedures mentioned and it works great. I am only able to control the audio level with the sound card sliders, but not the Mic Gain on the rig. It has no affect at all. All my computers are using a USB Mic/Camera setup so now I probably will find the results the same. I am now one step ahead!!

Steve - W0SDG
#9     Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:18 am
W0NBP
Ottumwa, Iowa

Subject:

Hello Steve
Thanks for your help on 11/11/06
I am getting closer to the answer, except I am using MixW. Will keep at it untill i find the answers. Then we can compare notes and write a book on Ditital Communications and CQ100... Hi !!

Best

Bill
W0NBP
Ottumwa, Iowa

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.