Archive

Topic: 28 Mhz Lockup (10 replies)
#1     Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:15 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: 28 Mhz Lockup

While monitoring the 28 Mhz band today CQ100 would lockup. I tried this on several different computers with the same result and only on that band. I must assume the issue is with the server for that band.
#2     Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:35 am
KC5PTX
324 Bryan Dr Garland,Tx.75042

Subject: computer lock up on 28mhz

I am also having a problem on 28mhz only. My computer locks up when I try to transmit. I do not see connecting to server message. I have used 28mhz before with no problems. Is this a temporary condition?
Issi kc5ptx
#3     Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:42 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

I am not aware of any problems with 28 Mhz band server. Thanks for these reports. We will give it some testing.

73 Doug
#4     Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:31 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Server problem

Yesterday this problem occured on 28, 29 and 21 Mhz bands.
When you would transmit, it would say you were transmitting but your station ID would not come up. Also, while transmitting a spike was not placed on the bandscope. There was no activity to be found on these bands. If you would sit and monitor for about 5 minutes the CQ100 program would crash and lockup. This same behavior was NOT noted on the other bands. The 80 meter band was quite usable all evening.
#5     Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:31 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

This sounds like a problem on the client, not a server problem. Maybe it is not properly disconnecting from the current band while making a switch to a new band. We see no indictaion of problems on the server.

If the transceiver has clearly got into a bad state, close it and reopen it before things become worse.

Yesterday somebody told me these band switch problems go away if he closes Internet Explorer. We are trying to duplicate this behavior by setting IE to various security settings.

The CQ100 transceiver needs to be more graceful about handling certain types of internet problems. It tries to reconnect whenever there is a disconnet or a failed connect. I think its somehow getting into a tight loop and going to full CPU under certain conditiions.

The graph at the bottom of the home page shows the traffic flow in and out of the server. If the server went down, there would be a gap in this graph.

73 Doug
#6     Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:16 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Lockup

Doug

Just FYI.

There were several other users during this timeframe reporting the same behavior. The same behavior was exhibited on a different computer.
My event viewer showed several application error hang entries. There were no DrWatson errors.

If I knew the address for your servers I could have performed a tracert to see if a router was out.

#7     Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:10 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Bob. Good idea about the TRACERT.

You can also just try opening the home page. Rememeber to Ctrl_Refresh in case the home page is cached. Try other home pages too to test your local connection.

The IP address is 66.98.148.39
Sometimes its a DNS problem so try QSONET.COM and QSONET.NET also.

Sometimes, a router problem somewhere in USA will knock out a part of the country for a short time, while others have no problem.

For security, we do not respond to pings, but TRACERT should work fine.

We are really talking about two problems here. Firstly the internet connection problem and secondly the ability of CQ100 to gracefully handle the first problem.
#8     Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:59 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Server/Client?

Hi Doug

OK thanks for info RE IP address. Somehow I suspected your servers were on a different IP. If this happens again I'll try to rule out DNS or router issues. I was able to access all on your website during this period so kind of doubting they were issues.
#9     Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:12 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

If you can also give the exact time of any outage, we can check server logs. The server provider will not investigate problems unless we can provide a TRACERT report.

There is a suspcious gap in the graph at bottom of home page on Saturday about 1630 eastern time. Maybe this is the same problem.

All six band servers, the web site and the discussion forum are currently running on this one machine. We can immediately spread out over additional machines if things get full. But so far we are averaging about 2% CPU useage with occassional short spikes up to 8%. I have seen it running at 1% CPU with 225 stations connected at once.

We shut the servers down for an hour in early September to perform an intensive disk scan - just to be sure there would be no problems later on. The servers have been running continuosly since then. Two weeks ago there was a few minutes internet disconnection at midnight. Someone at the provider made a mistake with a router, but it was fixed after a few minutes. The server was not down but it was unreachable for a few minutes.

73 Doug
#10     Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:07 am
K9FB
Kokomo, Indiana

Subject:

I was "on deck" when the incident occurred on Saturday at about 1630 EST. At that time I was unable to access the forum (it returned a "crit. error"), and I was unable to log onto the CQ100. The other informational pages of the web site seemed to be working, but the forum was not reachable. After about five minutes, I was able to access the forum and log onto the CQ100 again, but there were no other stations visible anywhere for a few minutes. The first conversations heard were something to the effect of "What happened?" I attributed the outage to a "virtual solar flare" :wink: .

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.