Archive

Topic: Turn OFF built in mic... leave on MIC input (3 replies)
#1     Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:32 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject: Turn OFF built in mic... leave on MIC input

is there any way to turn off the built in mic on my laptop without pulling the mic slider down on the sound card?

When useing cwtype and running in PTT/PTL, I have my headset mic plug pulled out of the laptop, BUT, the built in mic in the body of the laptop is still picking up noise (or even my voice) from the room. I know I hear room noise on stations running their keyer into the computer... BUT I figured by pulling out my mic plug, I wouldn't be transmitting that noise. I never even gave a thought to the built in mic hole up there in the corner of the laptop until Tom, w4wxa, said he could hear room noise... then I wondered how in the heck could that be... oh yeah, the built in mic.

Tom, you asked me if I had a fish tank in the room as it sounded like water running... nothing in the room... then after we signed off, I realized there is a very faint sound of the processor running in the laptop and that mic was picking that up... and that was the "water" you were hearing.

Bummer.... I have my fingers crosses that somebody will have the answer, but I'm kind of thinking there may be no solution to this one.

Bubble gum in the hole ?? :lol:

rich ae0v
#2     Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:06 am
K4QKY
Murray, KY

Subject:

Rich...

Not certain how you input cwtype to your laptop but if all you want to do is mute the mic, try:

Click START>CONTROL PANEL>SOUND AND AUDIO DEVICES. Under Volume click Advanced click options, click Properties click Recording to mute the Microphone input.

73 and hope this helps,

Don
#3     Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:44 am
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

i'm not sure how it is all working but if i bring the mic gain down, there is no signal. i pull the mic plug out but the built in mic still picks up. The computer store told me they could go in and actually disable the built in mic as it is separate from the mic plug, although they are both controlled by the same slider on the sound card. I'll see how it goes with cwtype, and if i keep using it, i'll have them do that.

rich ae0v
#4     Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:26 am
W0DRH
Savage, MN

Subject: LAPTOP MIC

Just a thought, but the easiest way to disable the laptop internal mic when using the keyer might be to buy a phone plug and plug it into your mic connection with nothing attached. This should activate the switch turning the internal mic off.

Regards,
W0DRH

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.