Archive

Topic: Frustration! (8 replies)
#1     Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:15 am
5B4MT
Larnaca Cyprus

Subject: Frustration!

Hi everyone
A fantastic programme which worked 'straight out of the box' - but only for a day!
I then got very bad break up on the audio (in both directions) and apart from one time have been unable to use the programme since.
I have looked at the suggestions, I use XP home on a fairly fast computer with a broadband connection (500K). I do not use any messenger services and have just taken Skype off the system - but this does not seem to have helped. I am fairly sure that the fault is here as during an attempted sched my pal in UK reported bad breakup and this was reinforced from a station in the US
HELP!!!
#2     Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:49 am
G1LKJ
Ash Vale, Surrey, UK

Subject:

it could be your microphone driver as I had a similar problem using a Logitech Communicator STX combined camera and mic a little while ago using Skype. Updating the driver helped considerably.

Phil.
#3     Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:28 am
5B4MT
Larnaca Cyprus

Subject:

Thanks for the tip. Not being too expert - how do I perform an update?
Everything else with the Mic works OK.
I wondered if there might be a firewall issue?
Mike
#4     Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:08 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hmm it worked for a day then started to break up. Nothing has changed at my end, so something has changed at your end. Maybe your ISP is full at certain hours of the day?

There is no problem with the Windows Firewall. What firewall are you using? I heard there are sometimes problems with Zone Alarm, Kerio, Panda and Norton Firewalls. They need to be configured somehow.

Do a google search for "SPEED TEST" and try testing the speed of your connection on a few of these test sites.

Are there others computers in your house using the bandwidth?

QSoNet requires less than 2 MB/sec and you have 500 available.

I doubt this problem is related to your microphone or sound card drivers. Try a test using Windows Sound Recorder.

http://www.qsonet.com/qbb/viewtopic.php?t=52

73 Doug

#5     Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:48 am
G1LKJ
Ash Vale, Surrey, UK

Subject:

5B4MT wrote:
Thanks for the tip. Not being too expert - how do I perform an update?
Everything else with the Mic works OK.
I wondered if there might be a firewall issue?
Mike

You would need to go to the web site associated with your microphone manufacturer if you know what make it is and download an updated driver if available to your desktop, scan the download using your antivirus programme and then install it in the normal way. Restart the machine if advised to do so. It worked for me.

But see Doug's response as well.

Phil.
#6     Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:00 am
5B4MT
Larnaca Cyprus

Subject:

Hi again - Thanks for the suggestions.
I have just checked the speed which reads 423Kb down and 90Kb up - which seems fine to me.
On the Firewall - this is built in to my Linksys wireless router, I would need to get someone in to advise on settings - and we fly to Bangkok on Saturday. I will try in Bangkok as my daughter has a good broadband connection there (and no wireless!)
I am trying this with only one computer on the network. I have just tried immediately after the speed test - and the same problem. It is the same on both the office computer and my laptop (with a different mic) but I will try reloading the mic driver tomorrow (have had a hard day today!)
I could also try a straight dial up connection and see if that works.
Anyhow will keep you advised
#7     Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:12 pm
5B4MT
Larnaca Cyprus

Subject:

We leave for Bangkok tomorrow. This is just an update.
I tracked down the microphone manufacturer - and there are no special drivers so I think this is a dead end.
This morning things seemed better and I actually had 2 reasonable QSO's on the laptop. The Office computer also seemed better than it has been. However this afternoon we are back to square one so its frustration time again. Any more ideas guys?
#8     Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:30 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

I still think its an internet problem and not an audio problem. You might try a test where you close your antivirus. A few people have told me NAV causes voice breakup on some VOIP programs on some computers.

You might try running NETSTAT to see what other programs are using your internet connection. Try running TRACERT to qsonet.com to check the timing at various hops.

Try running the speed test while CQ100 is transmitting audio.

..Doug
#9     Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:16 am
5B4MT
Larnaca Cyprus

Subject:

Thanks Doug.
We had a good trip out here and were able to listen on the bands at Dubai Airport courtesy of a friendly wireless network. Have just been on here in Bangkok - with no problem at all - and even had complimentary comments on the audio. I am now of the view - as you suggest, that this is an Internet problem (and is probably down to my ISP in Cyprus).
When I get back I will ask the national service CYTA to let me have a sample broadband connection to see if this works - I suspect it will.
Anyhow for this discussion I think we have reached a conclusion. I would like to thank everyone who took part for their sympathetic interest, THANKS GUYS!

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.