Archive

Topic: Repairing Windows Codecs (1 replies)
#1     Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:11 pm
VE3EFC

Subject: Repairing Windows Codecs

Received from K7HAP...

Douglas,

I have tried to add a response on your Discussion Forum but it rejects my username and password that I use to access CQ100 and qsonet. I've tried my callsign, email address and handle, all to no avail. How do I access the forum?

I wanted to add some clarification to the tech problems forum to perhaps save some folks some time and frustration. I upgraded to another computer (xp pro) and the sound worked for everything but cq100. It was very strange in that I could hear the hiss of noise and see the qso spikes but the audio would go quiet when someone transmitted. I spent many hours trying to troubleshoot to include reinstalling cq100, as well as repartitioning disk and restoring disk images, as well as upgrading xp (which worked but takes forever), and trying to restore a windows backup of a working system.

Your comments on the forum allude to the fact cq100 needs gsm 6.10 codec which was an important clue. I had taken image snapshots of my C drive as I built up the system. Somewhere along the line all my audio codecs (11) were lost except ms pcm conveter. All my other sound applications worked fine. Restoring gsm 6.10 codec to xp should be straightforward but none of the suggestions posted on your forum would work. I finally discovered the following site:

http://www.free-codecs.com/guides/How_to_install_default_codecs_in_Windows_XP_2000.htm

which, tho plagued with popup adds, gives a concise description to how to install individual codecs on xp. I followed those instructions which the average person can probably follow. Anyways, I just added the gsm 6.10 and now CQ-100 works fine. I happen to be a totally dissatified past user of Vista, having reverted back to XP, and not ready to upgrade again until forced to.

I really think the importance of having this codec and how to add it to ones system should be posted on your site as I'm sure there are many users plagued with this problem. If you don't have time to post some clarification on this type of problem I would be glad to post something on your forum.

CQ-100 is a really great program which have enjoyed using, particularily as something to listen to when I'm surfing the net. Am surprised more folks don't use it. It's and ideal interface for those with antenna restrictions and great introduction to new operators with Tech licenses.

Hap O'Brien
K7HAP
#2     Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:26 am
KC9PZN
Pekin, IL 61554, USA

Subject:

Quote:
the sound worked for everything but cq100. It was very strange in that I could hear the hiss of noise and see the qso spikes but the audio would go quiet when someone transmitted.

I am having this exact problem, i'm using windows 2000, and although i've tried upgrading/ reinstalling the GSM 6:10 or whatever codec, it doesn't help...still hear the hiss then silence when someone is "transmitting".

Yes, i have my audio properties set as advised.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.