Archive

Topic: USB Microphone (3 replies)
#1     Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:52 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject: USB Microphone

Do I need a USB microphone? I am having problems with transmit audio using my sound card with a mic plugged into it. This setup has worked well in the past with CQ100 but I am unable to see any modulated audio and every time I key the rig, the audio jumps up to S-10 and just holds there. I am not sure what I am transmitting.

My audio settings are correct as I use it on all the other audio programs I use to include the microsoft sound recorder. Skype, etc, works well with clear clean audio. I cannot locate the codec GSM 6.10 as mentioned in the FAQ's as it is not listed in the codecs. I have not done anything to delete it or run software which would interact with it, to my knowledge.

The forum mentions USB mics and no mention of serial or sound card microphone plugged into it, so I am wondering if this may be the problem? QsoTV works fine, but is generated within the program.

Any suggestions or solutions with my current setup is appreciated.

Steve
W0SDG
Lakeville MN
#2     Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:47 pm
W2BLC
Altamont, NY

Subject: Logitec

I use a Logitec USB mic. Got tired of all the setting changes every time I listened to music, etc. Sure would like to see a USB with PTT.
#3     Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:38 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Be sure the correct sound card is selected behind the white question mark.
Be sure the mic is muted in the playback control and selected in the recording control.

A constant S meter reading might mean you are transmitting a 60 cycle hum or a feedback squeal, but people should be able to tell you.

Two weeks ago, I noticed a similar problem; my S meter would never go below S7 when I stopped talking. My voice was transmitting fine, but the S meter behavior was weird.

Under advanced configuration for the sound card, I found a checkbox for "Allow DC Bias". Somehow this had been checkmarked. When I removed the checkmark for DC bias, the S meter returned to normal behavior. I wonder if some other program had made this change to my sound card configuration? I suspect Skype may have done it.
#4     Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:42 am
W2BLC
Altamont, NY

Subject: Skype problems

Yes - Skype can and does make changes to your sound card configuration that will mess with the CQ100 settings.

To me that was just another reason not to use Skype. Same for HamSphere.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.