Archive

Topic: 64 Bit Windows (3 replies)
#1     Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:59 am
VE3EFC

Subject: 64 Bit Windows

I wonder if anyone has CQ100 running under 64 bit Windows (XP or Vista).
I had an email that said it freezes up. Personally, I would avoid 64 bit Windows because I am hearing many programs and device drivers will not run. It appears that 5% of computers are currently being purchased with 64 bit Windows. I wonder if these buyers realize the problems they are getting into.

.. Doug
#2     Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:50 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

Doug.... being the computer dummy that I am, I may (or may not) be using the "64" that you are refering to. My computer is an Acer desktop running Vista OS and AMD64 AthlonX2. Is that the 64 you refer to? I don't have any trouble with CQ100 BUT, do have troubles with programs like CwCom, CwType, CwPlayer, etc. crashing (not at first) after using them for a while. I have assumed that most of those programs have NOT been upgraded for Vista although I think that CwType has been. Anyway, I just don't try to use them because I know that sooner or later over a period of minutes, they will most likely crash. So if I want to use those programs, I have to use my XP laptop.

I guess I have used Digipan with the Vista (AMD64 AthlonX2) desktop and don't recall it ever crashing.

Sorry if this info was not the "64" bit that you were refering to :oops:
#3     Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:18 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Rich. Excellent questionl

The AMD64 means your hardware is capable of running 64 bit programs, but less that 1% of new computers were being sold with 64 bit Windows. This autumn, it has grown to almost 5%.

If you right click on My Computer> Properties, you will see the details of your Windows version. If it does not say 64 bit, then it is 32 bit.

73, Doug
#4     Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:42 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

mine says 32 bit operating system.

rich

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.