Archive

Topic: Computer lock up v. 1.1 (12 replies)
#1     Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:48 am
W3DBG
Gaithersburg, MD

Subject: Computer lock up v. 1.1

Sorry to say, but I am experiencing the same program freeze mentioned by others. It happens whenever I try to switch bands from the default 20m band. We're not talking a band switching delay, but a program lock up. It happened with v.1.0 as well as the most current build of v.1.1
The CPU usage goes to 100%. The program cannot be closed, even trying to kill the process using the xp windows task manager will not work. Only a reboot does. I have never seen this behavior on any other program. Thought you should know. 73 Jim
#2     Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:07 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Jim.
I have heard about these lockups but not been able to duplicate them here. So nothing was done to try to solve them in the latest version.

Some more info would help.

1) what kind of connection? dialup, DSL, Cable?
2) Name of provider? AOL?
3) What version of Windows?
4) What kind of router?
5) Do you see "Connecting to Server" message scrolling across before it locks up?
6) Does it always happen or sometimes happen?
#3     Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:24 pm
W3DBG
Gaithersburg, MD

Subject:

1) what kind of connection? dialup, DSL, Cable? CABLE
2) Name of provider? AOL? COMCAST
3) What version of Windows? XP SP2 all current updates
4) What kind of router? LINKSYS BEFW11S4 current firmware
5) Do you see "Connecting to Server" message scrolling across before it locks up? NO
6) Does it always happen or sometimes happen? ALWAYS
#4     Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:11 pm
SM6GQW
Gothenburg

Subject:

Same trouble when I upgrade FeedReader but after some work I found "Can't locate database".
#5     Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:50 am
VO1MI
St. Johns, NL Canada

Subject: Computer Locks Up

I've got the same problem. Computer locks up when changing bands. Any solution?
#6     Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:17 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Somebody told me this problem goes away if he closes Internet Explorer. We will try to confirm this. Maybe its the security settings in Internet Explorer. Maybe its the firewall.

..Doug
#7     Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:51 am
VO1MI
St. Johns, NL Canada

Subject: Still can't resolve problem

Tried turning off firewall and shutting down IExplorer but computer still freezes when moving to other bands. I'm able to go to 40 metres and it still works but then I can't get back to 20. There must be someone out there who can resolve this problem.
#8     Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:29 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: Lockup on band change

When this occurs there may be an entry in your Event Viewer or the DrWatson log. This may give a clue as to what is wrong. Also you may want to run MSCONFIG from the command line and choose diagnostic mode to eliminate loading unnecessary stuff to see if it solves the problem. Post back for help as there are other things you can try.

#9     Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:44 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Is this Windows 98? What firewall did you shut down?
#10     Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:10 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

Doug,

I just experienced another lockup. It has happened before and on different computers. I was listening to a QSO and the screen display locked up but the audio was still active on the program. I saw my info on the display in the listening mode but was still copying the QSO. I simply rebooted the program and back in business. It is infrequent though. My operating system in all cases is XP, cable modem, some hardwire and some wireless connection to the modem. It happens when I am in the listening mode. I have probably had this happen 3 times since I have had CQ100 in operation, mid October.

Steve - W0SDG

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.