Archive

Topic: DX NET TIME - Suggetions (6 replies)
#1     Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:35 am
K5ZRK
Sandersville, Ms.

Subject: DX NET TIME - Suggetions

I have received a lot of commments regarding establishing a Dx Net. I would like for this to be successfull so I am asking for more input. thi snet will be called twice daily , so what would be the UTC times you would like to see the net called ? I know this is a broad subject depending on your schedule as well as your location. I would still like to know your input on this. I also want to say this is not a ragchewers net, this is a DX NET and an awards net so if you desire to ragchew, the Net control station can move you off frequency to do so after the net list has been run one time. This will give other stations a opportunity to work a particualr station they may need. Let me hear your ideas on this and suggestions, I have talked to a number of stations on the Qsonet and everyone wants to do this but let's do it right and this will be a ssb net in case you are wondering. the technology that has come our way is awesome so let's use it and not let it die. the playing field has been equaled regarding dx. Let me hear your ideas on this.- WB5KYK
#2     Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:30 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

See if I understand what is meant by a DX Net.

The CQ100 VOIP transciever would be running alongside your real RF transceiver. Everyone would be waiting a turn to work participating DX station(s) on RF.

A net contol operator on VOIP would coordinate who's turn it is to attempt calling the DX station. Everything would be orderly instead of a DX pileup. The weaker stations would have a better chance of success because they would not be competing in a pileup.

This sounds like a great use for the CQ100 and Qsonet system.

73, Doug
#3     Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:52 pm
K5ZRK
Sandersville, Ms.

Subject: Dx Net

Doug, this could be one use of the net, being able to interface with rf stations so to speak. This would require a station with Rf capabilities as well but I could see how this would be benificial. Doug, there are a lot of us who enjoy dxing on QsoNet. there are a lot of us who chase states, dx and even grid squares. I know you are aware that one of the big magazines ( CQ ) offers a VOIP award . This is just a way to help the VOIP operator a chance to work dx. Doug, I find more and more stations who are telling me that they use VOIP instead of rf because of a number of reasons. probably the leading reasons are : antenna restrictions ( a growing problem beleive me, especially with the aging ham population going to retirement communities), propagation ( this will change ) and finally cost of high quality rf gear ( this applies especially to young hams ). The requirement of a ham license I feel will add MORE hams to the hobby ! Young people like computers and especially if they are able to interact with them and this gives them an insentive to get a license if they know about Qsonet. HAMS need to be going to schools and promoting this part of the hobby ( VOIP ) ! HAMS need to be promoting QsoNet at hamfest. I really think what you have said about the dx net linking with those who are interested in Rf contacts is a great idea and maybe there should be TWO nets, one for those who are interested in Rf contacts and one for those interested in only VOIP contacts or maybe both goals could be accomplished with ONE net ? Your thoughts on this would be appreciated- Larry, WB5KYK
#4     Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:17 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Thanks for explaining Larry. I was not aware of the CQ Magazine award. I will look into it.
#5     Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:56 am
DG7LAE
Luebeck

Subject:

For the iDX Award one stations needs to use a transceiver , "computer only" contacts as on CQ100 ( beside the 29600-29700 area ) are not accepted for the award .
http://www.geocities.com/vk_ya/cq_iDX.html

Or is there any other award by CQ for "computer only" contacts ?

Uli
#6     Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:23 am
K5ZRK
Sandersville, Ms.

Subject: CQ Voip award

You are correct and I thought about the wording after the post had been submitted. This is something that needs to be addressed. There is a lot of dx on QsoNet and a lotof us enjoy working it. I think we will see awards as times progresses for contacts made from computer to computer with no rf invovled because even when there is rf invovled it is still computer to computer other wise the contact would not have been made ! Old ideas die hard.
#7     Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:34 am
EI6EW
Dublin

Subject:

If you can get a net controller.He can ask for callins from DX stations.Make a list of stations on air who would like to work, the DX stations standing by.Like the old 20 meter net run by Salime OE6EEG.Many of us with many DXCC points (but alas have no antennas now) would really love this.If a Frequency and Time could be eablshed.I feel it would soon become very popular.

Best 73/s
Tony EI6EW.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.