Archive

Topic: Bible Study Group (18 replies)
#1     Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:53 am
KA5OAI
San Angelo, TX

Subject: Bible Study Group

Many years ago, about 11:15 UTC I use to check into a Bible Study Group on 3.980 mc. The net ran for about 45 min. Then another net took over the frequency.
Now that I live in an apartment, I don't have a station capable of even hearing the net.

The format they used, was to do about 30 min. of reading (round table styled) from a book called "Bible Readings for the Home" (library of congress #63-12806). Then a 15 min. or so part, where each person made comments and mentioned any prayer requests they might have..

I wonder if anyone might be interested in starting up a group on CQ100 to do something simular?

God Bless,
KA5OAI
#2     Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:35 pm
G4CAO
New Haw

Subject:

I submitted my licence as requested to explore this program; it is a legal document. There is a section applied to this licence which says that no pecuniary interest shall be conducted under this licence; this includes any religious or commercial organisation.

Tell me, and I'm sure you will, that as this is only an VoIP based program these sections of our licence don't apply. If this is so, what happens when the program then enters the outside world via an enterprising RF HF gateway?

I know that I don't have to join any net to keep my licence legal but the program could get into other tricky subjects next.

Geoff G4CAO
#3     Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:05 am
KA5OAI
San Angelo, TX

Subject:

G4CAO wrote:
I submitted my licence as requested to explore this program; it is a legal document. There is a section applied to this licence which says that no pecuniary interest shall be conducted under this licence; this includes any religious or commercial organisation.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/pecuniary
pecuniary
One entry found for pecuniary.
Main Entry: pe·cu·ni·ary
Pronunciation: pi-'kyü-nE-"er-E
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin pecuniarius, from pecunia money -- more at FEE
1 : consisting of or measured in money
2 : of or relating to money

I'm confused as to what is money related about the idea of a net for the discussion of christian topics/studies?

If you are refering to the book I pointed to, I simply mentioned it as a example of the style of discussion topic(s) that were used on that net that I was refering to? There was no passing of the plate envolved on the net. Nor was I trying to sell someones book. :?:

If we had a net that met to discussion topics QRP related and made reference to a book on QRP for the sake of a basis of the discussion. Would this be considered a commercial broach of the rule you are refering to?

Please explain further. :?:
TIA

GB & 73's,
KA5OAI
#4     Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:10 pm
W1PI
Sebring, Florida

Subject: QsoNet Bible Discussion Group

Although I have no interest in such a discussion group, I see no reason nor any prohibition that would prevent KA5OAI from participating in such discussions if he choses to do so.

G4CAO is wrong if he thinks it does. Sounds like someone wants to limit KA5OAI's freedom of speech and discussion. KA5OAI is not selling Bibles, he just wants to discuss the contents thereof.

Good luck with your group.

Clay, W1PI
#5     Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:40 am
KA5OAI
San Angelo, TX

Subject: Re: QsoNet Bible Discussion Group

W1PI wrote:
Although I have no interest in such a discussion group, I see no reason nor any prohibition that would prevent KA5OAI from participating in such discussions if he choses to do so.

Thanks for confirming that for me Clay. So far no one else has responded, pro or con, so I guess the idea is on the shelf for now.

The folks on the air, on the 3.980 Bible Study Group, don't seem to be interested in trying CQ100. I guess if you have a good antenna, big amp ,and other nicities.... it falls in the "not real radio" pit. Oops, that sounded a lot like sour grapes, didn't it. :oops:

TNX again.

GB & 73's
KA5OAI
Sam
#6     Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:47 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

Clay is correct. And like him, I most likely wouldn't participate, but there is no reason not to allow such a net on one of the channels. You never know when and where someone might join you. "Rome wan't built in a day" and "a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step". Have faith and this might go some where some day. And, there is no license issue here what-so-ever.

Steve - W0SDG
#7     Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:40 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

This is an interesting discussion. I think Clay hit the nail on the head.

A couple months ago, I was tuning across 20 meters with my Kenwood when I stumbled across a "preacher" conducting a religious "Service". My first reaction was anger that a pirate station would be using a ham band for such a purpose. It was BROADCASTING which is illegal on ham bands.

But wait. They are all giving their callsigns. Its like a religious NET. Hmmm, what is so bad about this. Like-minded hams discussing a topic they are all interested in. This happens on ham radio all the time. If someone is not interested, they don't have to listen. It's no different than discussing football or golf.

Like Clay, I have no interest but I don't see anything wrong with a group of licensed hams discussing a subject that interests them as long as no money is changing hands.

I once heard a ham using QsoNet to raise money. His BROADCAST repeatedly said he is not allowed to raise money on the air so please visit his web site to see how to send him money. This loophole did not work with me. I quickly removed him from the system.

I received an email from an American ham who wanted me to ban 2 European stations because he heard them saying bad comments about the American president. I thought America was the model of free speech.

73 Doug
#8     Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:04 pm
G4CAO
New Haw

Subject:

What a load of parc.. have you noticed that no UK licence holder has commented...the patronising comments on this thread tell the tale...I wonder why no one is interested in KA5OAI's wants on HF...someone said this was an interesting discussion, so where are you? This is an VOiP system whether you like it or not but my licence is important to me; where do you get your licence from? the local supermarket?. If you want to go into the outside world via HF it is up to you but be assured you will get routed via HF without your knowledge knowingly or not .

A pity KA5OAI had to rely on plagiarism to sound important; any one can use a dictionary or was it Wikipedia?
#9     Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:39 pm
KA5OAI
San Angelo, TX

Subject:

G4CAO wrote:
What a load of parc.. have you noticed that no UK licence holder has commented...the patronising comments on this thread tell the tale...I wonder why no one is interested in KA5OAI's wants on HF...someone said this was an interesting discussion, so where are you?

FYI that "someone" was Doug, AKA douglas "at" qsonet.com SO I take his reply to be pertinent to the legality of the query I was making. I think Doug kinda runs the show around here and his opinion may count for something :wink:

Doug's comment
VE3EFC wrote:

Like Clay, I have no interest but I don't see anything wrong with a group of licensed hams discussing a subject that interests them as long as no money is changing hands.

Back to the rest of your post

G4CAO wrote:
This is an VOiP system whether you like it or not but my license is important to me; where do you get your license from? the local supermarket?. If you want to go into the outside world via HF it is up to you but be assured you will get routed via HF without your knowledge knowingly or not .

A pity KA5OAI had to rely on plagiarism to sound important; any one can use a dictionary or was it Wikipedia?

Although I do appreciate your feedback Geoff. I don't think I should respond to any of those helpful comments, just doesn't seem like it would be beneficial to the thread. ':?'

:idea: One further point on the topic of the book that I mentioned. Research by another CQ100 member, has brought to light that this Book is available free on the internet and can be found at http://www.preparingforeternity.com/br/brcontents.htm

God Bless,
KA5OAI
#10     Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:18 am
N2QOJ
Queen Creek AZ

Subject: future net

Sam,

All I ask is that, if and when your proposed net takes off, please do let me know so I can include it on our YAHOO Group Calendar.

Good luck - it sounds like a worthwhile activity.

Regards,

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.