Archive

Topic: Over-Modulation of voice on CQ100 (3 replies)
#1     Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:44 pm
VE5DKB
North Battleford, SK

Subject: Over-Modulation of voice on CQ100

Hi Doug:
After giving this much thought over the past year, (and I'm sure others may have also), I have come to this suggestion ... Could there be put in-place a patch/option to CONTROL the over-modulation situation heard on CQ100', with one that is simular to eQSO? I've noticed that a lot of people don't read the suggestions and tend to 'peg-the-needle'
; and even after they have been explained how to adjust their audio modulation settings, and they continue on. When there is excess modulation/sound, it tends to tear-up-the-speakers on the receiving end; and I usually just go to another channel or turn the program off all-to-gether. I've found some people don't appear to want to listen and that makes this very frustrating to listen to them and have to listen to all this distortion. Using and watching, I've found the best to be at about 7-to-9 with a peak at 10 to be the best audio range, but 'riding the 10' is on the verge. Im looking to see an improvement in this matter.
Thanks Doug for a great program, and I'm looking forward to re-newing my subscription next year, (as I would surely miss the friends I've already made here) ... but my subscription expires Dec 11 @ 3:48 CST. Will send you a personal e-mail explaining the situation.

Dave VE5DKB

Merry Christmas and God Bless EVERYONE !

TTFN
#2     Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:51 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Sounds like we need to design an ALC for the transmitter.
#3     Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:49 pm
W2AHP
Brick, NJ

Subject:

It's very curious, isn't it ? The only challenge to a ham on CQ100 is their audio and yet more than 50% of the signals i hear on CQ100 are poor to one degree or another. Either too low or too loud or wind noise or other assorted annoying noises.
#4     Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:21 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

The "challenge" of setting up good audio quality is in the spirit of traditional ham radio. Experimenting with microphones and levels to achieve nice sounding audio gives some flavor to what things were like when hams built their own equipment.

If someone is not interested in this challenge, that is fine too. Their voice quality will still be understandable but not pleasant.

I hear many stations talking too close to the mic, so we hear a bad "POP" sound from their breath on certain words. Windows Sound Recorder is a good way to test your audio quality.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.