Archive

Topic: TimeOut Timer Suggestion (2 replies)
#1     Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:21 pm
KB4T
Holly Hill, FL

Subject: TimeOut Timer Suggestion

As it currently works, the TIMEOUT TIMER drops the PTT but does NOT give the timed out operator any obvious indication that they have timed out. If the operator is busy staring off into space or looking at papers on their desk or are otherwise occupied, there is no obvious indication that TIMEOUT has occurred.

I suggest a 2 step improvement:

1. 15 or 30 seconds of advanced notice of impending timeout. Perhaps the keyer can send DIT DIT 2 or 3 times when timeout is about to occur. If sound cannot be made to play during transmit, perhaps the CALLSIGN info block can be made to blink with the words, "TIMEOUT in 15 SECONDS".

2. When TIMEOUT does occur and the CQ100 stops transmitting, the Keyer can alarm T O in Morse as well as flashing TIMEOUT in the callsign block.

Respectfully submitted,

Frank KB4T
Florida
#2     Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:24 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Frank. I like this idea because someone may not notice their mic has been keyed off because of the timeout. They end up talking to a dead mic until they are surprised to hear a reply coming in.

The purpose of this timeout is not to limit transmission time by a human operator, but simply to catch the situation where someone has accidently left their mic open. We had cases where mics were left open for many hours.

The human operator can immediately key his mic back on. If he bounces PTT switch off-on-off at any time, it will restart the timer.
#3     Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:59 am
KB4T
Holly Hill, FL

Subject: Roger!

The scenario you describe happened to me which is what motivated my making the suggestion.

Perhaps the timeout tone or alarm should persist until the operator resets or acknowledges it. That is likely to reinforce the lesson!

Look forward to seeing your implementation of this idea.

Frank KB4T

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.