Archive

Topic: Simulated propagation (9 replies)
#1     Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:53 am
PY1UFO
Rio de Janeiro

Subject: Simulated propagation

I think it would be nice if the comunications where intercept by a matrix of parametres simulating the ionosferic oscilation. That could be done with some fractal algoritms based on informations on recent solar flares or the patern of the propagation in each band. I think it could give the felling of a more real radio and could be used for simulations on propagation conditions around the world. Should be a "second life" of ham radios. The matrix would have a status of the conditions in each location of the world and based on the location of the stations on the QSO the system could simulate de oscilation of the sinals. The chart off the "virtual propagation" could be publicated in the internet or it would be a additional software showing the conditions. It could be a plus accont and the basic could not have the virtual propagation. I think the hams around the world would go crazy about these.
There is more : The software could simulate antenas and the basic could be a dipole and the beams only in the plus acount. It could be turned and it would respond to the virtual matrix of propagation and interact with it amplifing the sinal in the front direction. Later it could be a good system of testing new kind of antennas and conditions, and thats what AMATEURS Radios are about after all. The new ideas are endless and with time that wold be a great near to reality comunication system.
73s and good luck!
#2     Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:06 pm
KD5LWU
Cortez, CO

Subject: Prop reports

Some good thoughts on your end but to see "real" results go to http://www.propnetnet.org and see the reports of "live" psk31 beacons and many bands. 73 Johnny
#3     Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:54 pm
PY1UFO
Rio de Janeiro

Subject: Propnet project

Thanks for the link. I will check and be back to comment ok?
73s
#4     Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:05 am
OE5AKM
Linz, Austria

Subject: Re: Simulated propagation

PY1UFO wrote:
The new ideas are endless and with time that wold be a great near to reality comunication system.

QsoNet/CQ100 is a real communication system, but it isnīt ham radio! So let it go itīs own way...

Doug has done a great job - why worsen the system artificially?

73, Alfred, OE5AKM
#5     Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:16 am
PY1UFO
Rio de Janeiro

Subject:

Hi Alfred, I understand your point but we have to admit that the fun thing about CQ100 is exactly because its seems to be like ham radio, otherwise it would be just like a regular chat. Of course the idea I talked about is not to reproduce the exact conditions of propation virtually but to simulate the feeling. The system could give you a choice to use it or not, but for those who like DX like me and many others for sure, we would have a "mode" off operation that we really could have enviroment to do it and make contest and so on. I think it would increase a lot the interest on joining the QSOnet for sure.
73s
Luiz
#6     Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:01 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

It would be possible to adjust the Qsonet servers, so they would simulate propogation conditions by band, time of day, time of year, sunspot cycle and distance between stations. We could turn up the static volume for weak stations. We have given serious consideration to this idea. Your registration would include latlon location for your QTH.

Perhaps we could sell virtual quads and yagi's :)

If the Qsonet servers ever became overloaded, we could have an 80 meter server for europe and another 80 meter server for North America, with no communication between these two servers.

Many people laugh at this silly idea, but some people think is a good idea. I guess it depends whether you see Qsonet as a realistic simulation of HF radio, or just an easy way for hams to talk to each other. I am not sure how I feel about it.

73, Doug
#7     Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:15 am
PY1UFO
Rio de Janeiro

Subject:

OK Doug, it depends on the operator but the system could give the option to use the simulated propagation or not. Maybe like a DX mode on the transceiver panel, and a "digital" mode as well to speak as a chat the way it is now or maybe in just some prequencies like CW or 100khz space in each band. I still think its a fantastic ideia. 73s and thaks for the reply.
#8     Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:30 am
DG7LAE
Luebeck

Subject:

I would hate to see the possibilities for contacts being reduced .

I could only aggree to it , if this is up to a free choise for every single user , as PY1UFO already mentioned , to have a switch between "propagation mode " and " worldwide " .

Uli
#9     Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:46 am
N4BWR
Carrollton, GA

Subject:

I think it's a good idea. No, this isn't real ham radio, but it's a great program, and it gives you a feel for HF. I think that if people want a program just to chat with other hams, they can use many of the messenger programs out there to do the same thing. The beauty of this program is that it is not just another messenger program. I think that simulating band conditions and possibly adding some sort of antenna setup feature would be a great idea. Obviously, this is Doug's program, and I'd be fine with it how it is now, but I think that there are tons of possibilities here with simulating real situations. Something to think about.
#10     Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:20 pm
PY1UFO
Rio de Janeiro

Subject: propagation

I hope that some of this propagation ideas will be implemented in future versions. This ideas should spread by the users for opinions. It would be nice to make two versions and the most simple would be free and the professional with simulated propagation and antennas and what else could be should be charged proportional with the number of bands, simulated power and other simulated resources.
73s.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.