Archive

Topic: A psk section (5 replies)
#1     Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:54 pm
G0VVA
Derby, England

Subject: A psk section

There is a need for a dedicated portion of of at least the 20m section of CQ100 to be allocated to digital modes, a suggestion is 14.070 to 14.080.
Yet again there has been another cw station giving QRM to a in progress psk QSO.
A suggestion is to mark the section that is to be used the same as the cw and calling frequency is marked.
Or untill a upgrade of the program is issued for the Author to state his opinions in a reply in the QsoNet Discussions
Mainly the cw stations are right to complain the portion allocated to cw is being used by a different mode. so untill it is made clear where the digital mode stations can transmit there are going to be conflicts, which to me is not in the spirit of amateur radio.
73 de Mike
#2     Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:15 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

This portion of the band has already been the suggested area for PSK and other digital modes. However, just as in the RF ham radio spectrum, it is not an absolute. If there is QRMing going on, then that is the issue and should be reported to Doug. No one can QRM without us knowing who it is and QRMing is not accepted here if it is seemingly intentional. The idea is to share the entire spectrum we have been given, as gentlemen, using Ham Radio ediquet.

If there is a CW signal in the 14.070 to 14.080 portion, just find the next clear channel and go for it. If you are being "stepped on" then it is a violation for proper operating practices and should be reported to the man in charge and I am pretty sure he will deal with the problem. The only set rule we have here is the request that we do not use voice in the CW spectrum. Otherwise, just be considerate when we operate..

Steve - W0SDG
#3     Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:10 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

I agree with everything Steve says. There is lots of room for everyone on these bands. Malicious QRMing will not be tolerated.

Perhaps someone is trying to contact you on CW because he needs some help to get his PSK set up. Don't always assume it is malicious. I heard some guys on PSK31 a few nights ago and I wanted to break in and tell them I was getting 100% copy on DigiPan. I cannot send PSK31 yet, so I was tempted to send them a short CW message.

73, Doug
#4     Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:44 am
DG7LAE
Luebeck

Subject:

Please keep in mind that not every ham is able to understand CW , specially now as code is drop almost everywhere .

Therefore cw may be understood as jamming though it is intended to help or ask . Using the comment line at the callsign might be a better way to contact someone > --callsign-- pse contact me on 14140 voice - for example .

Uli
#5     Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:17 am
G0VVA
Derby, England

Subject:

I take that to mean so long as a QSO is not in progress we are clear to transmit a digital signal, in the 14.070 to 14.080 section of QSO100.

There is no point in a station requesting help setting up psk by sending unreadable cw.

Thanks for the helpful comments, progress has been made.

73 de Mike, G0VVA
#6     Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:08 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

G0VVA wrote:
I take that to mean so long as a QSO is not in progress we are clear to transmit a digital signal, in the 14.070 to 14.080 section of QSO100.

There is no point in a station requesting help setting up psk by sending unreadable cw.

Thanks for the helpful comments, progress has been made.

73 de Mike, G0VVA

You have it correct Mike. Actually, you can send a digital signal anywhere on the entire band spectrum of each band, including CW. We are just simulating HF here and where, most likely, you'd find digital signals on real radio, etc. I also agree that it is pointless to send CW during a PSK QSO.

Steve - W0SDG

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.