Archive

Topic: VIDEO WITH QSO (7 replies)
#1     Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:43 pm
WA4TWA
TALLAHASSEE FLORIDA

Subject: VIDEO WITH QSO

Has anyone ever run into someone who suggested running video during a qso on CQ100? There are several video communicatioion program that allows you to create your own chat room. It may be interesting to be able to see the guy you're in QSO with. Just an idea.

Charlie

WA4TWA TALLAHASSEE FL.
#2     Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:42 pm
N1VMC
Lynn,Ma

Subject:

Good idea,virtual SSTV and ATV :) .
#3     Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:26 am
WA4TWA
TALLAHASSEE FLORIDA

Subject:

Thanks for the reply.

I'd like to give it a try. Either on ECHOLINK or CQ100.
If you have the time to try it out let me know.

Charlie

jotthisdown@earthlink.net
(the pm part of this board is disconnected)
#4     Sun May 13, 2007 1:47 pm
N4BWR
Carrollton, GA

Subject:

That would be Yahoo Messenger, AIM, MSN Messenger, etc. And, they don't require an amateur radio license! I think that people are losing sight of what this program is trying to accomplish. I think I even remember suggestions for text chat capability, and a "buddy list" to find your friends. What's next? Smileys?
#5     Mon May 14, 2007 3:03 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

N4BWR wrote:
That would be Yahoo Messenger, AIM, MSN Messenger, etc. And, they don't require an amateur radio license! I think that people are losing sight of what this program is trying to accomplish. I think I even remember suggestions for text chat capability, and a "buddy list" to find your friends. What's next? Smileys?

Pretty much right on with your reply. I think that maybe the newer members on here haven't had a chance to view earlier discussions on this topic. Until Doug indicates otherwise, this is simply just another Ham Rig, just as one would buy off the shelf. Use it like an HF rig and whatever you do on real radio, can be simulated here as well. At the moment, no more, no less..

Steve - W0SDG
#6     Mon May 14, 2007 3:39 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

We are thinking about designing a little TV set that would be an optional program to sit on top of the CQ100 transceiver. It would be used to share still picturess to all the listeners on that frequency.

73, Doug
#7     Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:28 am
G0TNP
Hampshire, U.K.

Subject:

I remember the good old days when you sat in front of your radio with your eyes peeled on the S meter and frequency meter looking for DX and when you found a contact the excitement was heightened by trying to raise that contact. Once established all you had was the microphone and a speaker.

I feel that this HF 'simulator' should replicate the same properties and things like video chat, text chat and any other 'chat room' gimmick should not be allowed. One of the main reasons why we (hams) are using this program is because some of us cannot or are not allowed to erect antennas in our back yards to DX on HF.

Let's try and keep it like the 'real thing' and don't turn it into just another chat site! Well done Doug you've done a great job with CQ100 and I for one will be a regular DX'er.

My only request echo's an earlier request. A built in simple logger would be great to keep a record of who you spoke to and when, what time etc. Perhaps (if it hasn't already been mentioned) we can even setup a QSL card from different countries (or is that being to nostalgic?). I for one wouldn’t mind designing one for myself… any comments?
#8     Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:47 pm
G4JVX
Winsford, Cheshire

Subject:

I agree with G0TNP and W0SDG.

CQ100 is amateur radio, but using the Internet for contacts.

In my opinion, it should keep to this and not try to compete with Skype or Messenger with all their "bells and whistles".

Keith
G4JVX

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.