Archive

Topic: cw via paddle on com or parallel port (4 replies)
#1     Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:36 am
VE9AAS
Saint John

Subject: cw via paddle on com or parallel port

I think a great enhancement to this program would be direct connection by a paddle or straight key to either the com or lpt port of the computer. A program known as CWCom can do this and I don't see why it would be too difficult to add this featue ti this even greater program.
This would remove the need for a sidetone generator which most of us would agree lacks good sound quality.
#2     Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:13 am
G4ILO
Cockermouth, UK

Subject:

Speaking as a programmer, it would not be so easy. And most new computers don't have either a serial or a parallel port, only USB, so it wouldn't be so useful for a lot of people. Could you not play the output of the program you mention into the CQ100? A tone still has to be generated somewhere, since this is a VOIP system. If the sound isn't very good, that's probably the effect of the voice optimized codecs.
#3     Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:26 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

We are working on this idea. Actually, we planned to have paddle CW with the first release last September. We ran into a small problem where there is a slight delay in the generated CW from the paddle. It was ok at 10 or 15 wpm, but at 25 wpm it was difficult to control I, S, H or 5. We are still working on this little problem and we have made some progress. I think it might end up as a seperate "Keyer" program that will sit on the top of the transceiver program.

73, Doug
#4     Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:22 pm
WB0WLS
Grand Island NE -- Let's work some CW -- CW, music to a ham's ears

Subject:

hello Doug... thanks for the update on the direct input of the paddle. I read in earlier posts that you initially had it on the program. I know many of us anxiously await such an addition to the program. Thanks for the update.

rich ae0v
#5     Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:04 am
PA3CVV
Amsterdam

Subject:

The ability to connect a paddle to the pc would indeed be welcome. But please do not forget the ‘straight key’ mentioned earlier in this topic. After connecting a paddle, the ‘keyer’ making the dits and dashes would have to be provided by the software. That is fine, but many would be keen to connect their own keyer or straight key to CQ100. In cw.com this is the distinction between connecting an ‘iambic paddle’ (keyer is in the cw.com software), or connecting a ‘manual key’ (the software only provides a side tone every time the straight key or external keyer closes the circuit).
73, Miles

VE3EFC wrote:
We are working on this idea. Actually, we planned to have paddle CW with the first release last September. We ran into a small problem where there is a slight delay in the generated CW from the paddle. It was ok at 10 or 15 wpm, but at 25 wpm it was difficult to control I, S, H or 5. We are still working on this little problem and we have made some progress. I think it might end up as a seperate "Keyer" program that will sit on the top of the transceiver program.

73, Doug

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.