Archive

Topic: SSTV,RTTY ? (4 replies)
#1     Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:13 am
KG4WHJ
Thomasville,Georgia

Subject: SSTV,RTTY ?

Why can't SSTV , RTTY OPERATE ON THE SUB PART OF THE
BANDS AS DOES CW ? YOU HEAR IT EVERYWHERE ! JUST ASKING ?
#2     Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:35 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

You can operate RTTY in the CW sub band. There is a digital spectrum of 14.070 to 14.080 that is being used for keyboard modes, PSK, RTTY, MFSK, etc. SSTV is running up around 14.230 just as on HF.

Steve - W0SDG
#3     Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:24 pm
N3KCI
Fruitland, Md 21826

Subject: Re: SSTV,RTTY ?

KG4WHJ wrote:
Why can't SSTV , RTTY OPERATE ON THE SUB PART OF THE
BANDS AS DOES CW ? YOU HEAR IT EVERYWHERE ! JUST ASKING ?

I can not imagine anyone wanting to operate those modes on a system as nice as this one, set up for the preffered method of communication, voice. Much like wanting to use a mule to power your Mercedes. In case no one heard, there are such things as Video and E-Mail which makes those modes obsolete. Its a great system, as intended.
#4     Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:28 am
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject:

"I can not imagine anyone wanting to operate those modes on a system as nice as this one, set up for the preffered method of communication, voice."

One of the 'nice' things about this system is that it is not just another voice chat/video/file transfer program. It emulates HF on the internet; therefore, all the modes that are valid on HF are valid here as well.
While it is easier to email a photo (or use another program) it's not nearly as interesting or challenging.
#5     Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:48 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Much of ham radio is all about the challenge and skill involved. People ask me why I use ham radio if I can just phone someone instead. Why use PSK and SSTV when its much easiier to just use email or MSN.

My reply is why do people use golf clubs when its much easier to just walk over and drop the ball in the hole. People do it because of the friendships, skill, challenge and practice required. It's fun!

73 Doug

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.