Archive

Topic: Linux (10 replies)
#1     Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:00 am
VE1MOS
Guysborough, Nova Scotia

Subject: Linux

I would like to se a Linux version of this software...
I use Novel SuSE Linux and abandoned Windows completly until the
CQ100 was brought to my attention. So, now, I only boot into Windows
to use this software.
#2     Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:15 am
G4ILO
Cockermouth, UK

Subject:

Won't it run under wine?
#3     Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:32 pm
VE1MOS
Guysborough, Nova Scotia

Subject:

The Wine environment is targeted for Windows98 and CQ100 is a Windows200 or Windows XP application. It would be preferable to have software coded for Linux. Software I have attempted to run under Wine has been a "hit and miss" affair, often having to enter commands from the shell. Have you installed it under Wine, and if so, what problems, if any have you encountered?
#4     Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:51 pm
G4ILO
Cockermouth, UK

Subject:

No, I don't use Linux, but I have played with it in the past and was surprised how much Windows software would work under wine. I think CQ100 was developed in RealBasic. If I'm right, a Mac version could be made relatively easily (there's a version of RB for Mac) but there is no obvious way to port it to Linux.
#5     Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:59 pm
VE1MOS
Guysborough, Nova Scotia

Subject:

I tried running the CQ100 under Wine but got so many errors I gave up.
I also use CQGet (Code Copy) and it runs perfectly under Wine.
Maybe the new Windows Vista will be much improved, but the hassles with virus and spyware is making Windows XP tedious. I ran some software to remove the spyware but upon rebooting I received a message that I needed to have Windows reactivated. Tried to do this over the internet but couldn't. Ended up calling Microsoft. SuSE Linux is a pleasure to use (no virus' no spyware (that I am aware of). The main problems with Linux seem to be lack of software and getting regular telephone modems to work. In any event, the CQ100 is a great little program, good enought to make me suffer with Windows!
#6     Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:55 pm
F8CIW
nr. Paris

Subject:

On Mandriva 2007 with Wine 0.94 CQ100 work but i can't get the sound working.
#7     Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:05 pm
VE1MOS
Guysborough, Nova Scotia

Subject:

Well, you are way ahead of me...
I use Novell SuSE and really appreciate it for accessing the internet.
It picked up the connection for my DSL line immediately. Sound works, but can't play rented movies (need a plugin I guess).
I tried to install a POTS modem to give me CallerID when the phone rings, but that was a complete failure. I use the Linux machine for accessing my bank account etc, because I feel more secure with it.
I use the Windows machine to run CQ100 and that's about it!
We probab;y won't soon see a copy of CQ100 for Linux, and that is quite understandable in view of the small number running Linux.
I would suggest that if one could at all, they should try to find someone who is running Linux and have a look. They might get hooked on it!
#8     Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:41 pm
VK3BCY
Melbourne Australia

Subject: CQ100 for Linux

I am also another who uses Windows as little as possible. It is pathetic considering how many years since it began and how many versions and "service packs" there have been to try to patch up security holes and virus susceptibility etc.

For those pinning their hopes on Windows Vista, Steve Ballmer has admitted that already they have opened a file for a service pack on their new OS!! Here we go again, closing the stable door!!

I currently have six (6) operating systems on my main desktop PC which has two hard disks. One is XP and the other are various latest versions of Linux, all of which I am very happy with.

I will try Wine on some of them to see if CQ100 will operate that way but I do hope that our CQ100 leader can persuade someone to help with a Linux version. I would be happy to make a supplementary contribution for such a version.

Morrison
#9     Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:10 am
WD9ESU
Beloit, WI.

Subject:

F8CIW wrote:
On Mandriva 2007 with Wine 0.94 CQ100 work but i can't get the sound working.

Hi, I am also running Linux, Ubuntu 7.10, I have used both wine, & crossover...CQ100 works fine except for the rec. audio...

Hopefully someone can figure out what is need on a Linux OS to be able to have sound...

WD9ESU
#10     Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:59 pm
W1KBX
Concord, NH

Subject: CQ100 on Linux

I run Linux Mint 7, which is a derivative of Ubuntu 9.04. I also run VirtualBox host software under Linux Mint. VirtualBox is open source that is similar to the commercial VMWare. Within VirtualBox, I have installed Windows 2000 Professional as a guest OS. This is where I installed my CQ100. The CQ100 received audio works fine but I don't have a microphone yet, so I can not report on transmitting. For me, this is head and shoulders above Wine.

W1KBX

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.