Archive

Topic: NO band policemen, PLEASE!! (3 replies)
#1     Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:17 am
K7EK
Spanaway, WA

Subject: NO band policemen, PLEASE!!

Looks like QsoNet has its share of those (IDIOTS) that like to open their big
mouths in an attempt to lessen the pleasure of others. I keep hearing from people,
especially Europeans, that this mode or that mode is not allowed in a
particular portion of a band. One guy was listening to us exchange SSTV
pics the other day and came on saying that "PACKET" is not allowed there.
Obviously Mr. Policeman was so mis-informed that he did not know what
SSTV sounded like, let alone "PACKET". Nobody wants to hear this!

If you have a problem with what someone is doing, first make sure that
you know what you are talking about. Then present your concerns to
the individuals in a polite and constructive manner. Failure to do so will
not get the results you seek. First and foremost, however, is to actively
participate in this forum and stay in communication with Doug, VE3EFC,
as he is the ultimate source of who does what and where on CQ100.
If you do not particpipate in this forum and read, read, read, then I have
no sympathy for you.

My personal advice to Band Policemen is:

1) GET A LIFE!

2) TAKE YOUR STUPIDITY ELSEWHERE! WE DON'T NEED IT ON QSONET
OR AMATEUR RADIO IN GENERAL!

3) IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING NICE (CONSTRUCTIVE) TO SAY, DO
NOT SAY IT! DIDN'T YOUR MAMA TEACH YOU ANYTHING???

Have a nice day...

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK
#2     Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:33 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Gary. I agree with your point. However, words like "studitity" and "idiots" are not necessary to make your point. Your crack about "Europeans" in general was unnecessary.

We don't need a lot of rules and enforcers. The 5 commandments on the home page are very simple. One additional commandment #6 is to move all links to the 29 Mhz Band.

There is lots of empty space, so if you you hear something you don't like then just move away. I know some digital modes sound bad to human ears, but that is just like the real RF bands. I quickly tune away.

One clarification... The third commandment says " Do not use voice on CW bands". There is no rule against using any mode at all on the voice bands. This agrees with most country band plans.

Another clarification... We have no rules regarding class of license. If you have ANY class of amateur radio license and a callsign from your government, you are entitled to full priviledges on the virtual ionoshpere. I get a lot of email about this.

73 Doug
#3     Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:30 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject:

VE3EFC wrote:

We don't need a lot of rules and enforcers. The 5 commandments on the home page are very simple. 73 Doug

Apparently the simple rules are either not read by everyone or they don't understand them. Some seem to interpret them differently. Some want to enforce them while not understanding them.

I would not have used the same words as Gary but I agree with his point in general. It's obvious to me that he is frustrated with interruptions from people making comments or issuing directives to others when they have not a clue what they are talking about. I was listening during the incident in question. The station that broke in was rude and demanding. He deserves to be called a LID and told where to go. We need to have a few simple rules as Doug has pointed out, but we don't need Official Observers or policemen roving the bands looking for what they think are violations. There must be thousands of different frequencies you can use on CQ100 and I cannot understand why anyone would complain about what occurs on a particular frequency unless it is illegal or immoral. If you don't like what you hear, change the channel!

Perhaps Doug can clarify what action should be taken when we perceive a rule violation? As far as I am concerned the only rules that apply are those that are mandated by the author of the program.
#4     Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:54 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Well said Bob.

If you observe a rule infraction the best advice is to tune away and forget about it. If you think it is serious, drop me an email.

In the past I simply disable the account for the offending station. If they email me for support (Account not Valid), they are serious about continuing to use the program, so I explain the rule infraction to them.

In many cases the infraction is not deliberate. Its partly my fault for not yet having the manual and web site translated into different languages.

If I feel the infraction is deliberate, I lose no sleep over permanently banning that station from the system. At this point, I do not engage in any back and forth discussions.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.