Archive

Topic: Dual VFO (6 replies)
#1     Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:28 am
4F3EW
Bulacan, Philippines

Subject: Dual VFO

Maybe dual vfo's would be a useful addition to CQ100 ?
#2     Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:21 pm
W0NBP
Ottumwa, Iowa

Subject:

I don't envision running contests on virtual radio... Hehe... but ..... it could happen....

Or perhaps.... the 'foxhunt'...???

Nah... couldn't do it.... the Foxes ears would be sticking up above the tuning line.... Hehehe....

Oh well anything is possible.... and that's the real fun of it...

de W0NBP

Bill
#3     Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:25 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

4F3EW,

Please expand on that idea. I would like to know what the advantage of Dual VFO's would provide because I am not experienced with this concept.

Tnx,
Steve - W0SDG
#4     Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:17 am
W0NBP
Ottumwa, Iowa

Subject:

Dual VFO's would allow you to receive on one freqeucy and transmit on another. Most modern transceivers have this capability. Older models used an external VFO to accomplish this. Often during contests or Foxhunts, a station will try to avoid pileups by receiving several kc's up or down from their xmit frequency.

Not feasible for the CQ100 Virtual receiver.

de W0NBP

Bill
#5     Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:51 pm
VE4EO
winnipeg.mb.canada

Subject:

I can not see any for this this system just an unneccassary complcation.
#6     Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:56 pm
VE4EO
winnipeg.mb.canada

Subject:

I cannot see ant use for his here ....my previous remarks were a bit garbled
#7     Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:09 am
KC6UVA
West Monroe LA USA

Subject: Good suggestion...

I've spoken with quite a number of people now using CQ100 and the facination with what this new approach to communication can do is evident. One example (which involves DUAL capability)...

As we are all aware of the usefulness and practicallity of EchoLink as it concerns emergency communications, there is one drawback. The drawback is that EchoLink still has you utilizing real-world frequencies in emergency situations. The suggestion for using a system such as CQ100 is that it provides an alternate mode of communication that does not use real-world radio, thereby, freeing up those frequencies for only emergency communication. Now, please understand, that by no means am I suggesting for us to drop the use of radio bands. I am, however, suggesting that CQ100 can easily be used for message traffic. We've already experimented with running EchoLink and CQ100 simultaneously - one to receive and the other transmit - and it works without issue. Creating a Dual VFO for CQ100, in my opinion, simply increases those capabilities.

Something to think about.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.