Archive

Topic: Using USB Microphones on the CQ100 (5 replies)
#1     Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:07 am
G3VJF
Herne Bay

Subject: Using USB Microphones on the CQ100

I note that, while you are able to select a USB mic on the recording device panel, the mic gain control still adjusts the microphone gain control on the sound card input. I had trouble with getting correct levels using the USB mic although it worked perfectly on Skype. This was because Skype automatically adjust the level whereas the CQ100 does not.

I had to go into the control panel to find the approriate gain control and turn it up. Many may not find this.

Arranging for the mic gain control to adjust the level of the USB mic, when selected, would solve this. Automatic level selection, as used in Skype, would be even better.

Congratulations on an excellent system.

Paul, G3VJF
#2     Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:07 am
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Paul,

I have not seen this problem with my USB mic. It might be a bug where the Mic Gain does not know you changed the source sound card. The Mic Gain connects to the sound card when the program is openned.

Try this idea...
After you select the usb mic, close the program and reopen it. Maybe the Mic gain will now know about the correct source.

Thanks for telling me about this problem. I will do some testing here. It should be easy to fix.

Doug
#3     Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:28 am
G3VJF
Herne Bay

Subject:

VE3EFC wrote:
Hi Paul,

I have not seen this problem with my USB mic. It might be a bug where the Mic Gain does not know you changed the source sound card. The Mic Gain connects to the sound card when the program is openned.

Try this idea...
After you select the usb mic, close the program and reopen it. Maybe the Mic gain will now know about the correct source.

Thanks for telling me about this problem. I will do some testing here. It should be easy to fix.

Doug

No. it doesnt work for me. I need to use the regular sound card for a weather reception program, so that is my 'default sound card' but both Skype and QSONet allow me to select the input called AK5370, which represents the USB input. I can open in Control Panel a gain control for this called Capture.

The regular recording gain control can also be shown on the desktop. Adjusting the gain control on the receiver alters this one not 'Capture'.

See the attached screen snatch showing both gain controls.

#4     Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:08 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

I have experienced some conflicts when my USB/Camera mic is plugged in. I am unable to use my PSK31 software successfully (Hamscope) when it is plugged in. It appears to be active whenever it is plugged in and conflicts with the sound card settings. Unplugging it corrects this condition. Food for thought.....

Steve - W0SDG
#5     Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:46 pm
K4QKY
Murray, KY

Subject: USB microphone

I've read this thread with considerable interest sinch I recently orderred a Samson Q1U USB mic. Their website at http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1810&brandID=2 contains a discussion of the mic including two alternative drivers... one the existing winxp drivers and the other called a "softpre" which is Samson's. For CQ100, should I stick with the winxp driver or go with the more sophisticated softpre. I'd much prefer the softpre as I intend to experiment with he mic for external (software based) ham radio transmit audio processing. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

73 and hope to hear from you,

Don
#6     Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:56 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

Don,

It probably depends on what you intend to use on CQ100. I am not sure whether there is a right or wrong answer to this until you experiment with the options you mentioned. I know for sure now, that with my present configuration, my USB mics on all three of my computers, conflicts with the soundcard settings when I am using Hamscope as my digital mode software in conjunction with CQ100. Since I am running on built in soundcards on all three computers, this is all I have experience with. It very well may be that what you are thinking about doing would work just fine too unless you find someone who has some first hand knowledge with your query. As time goes on here, we will all benefit by the experience of others..

Steve - W0SDG

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.