Archive

Topic: SWL version. ? (21 replies)
#11     Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:38 pm
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: SWL?

Steve, you have almost taken the words out of my mouth. This is a wonderful program that serves a valid purpose but I think it is very speculative to assume it could be used to attract young people to ham radio. After all, ham radio is radio, not VOIP. If one does not intend to communicate via radio waves then one is simply not an amateur radio operator!

This is not an attempt to denigrate anyone that uses CQ100. For those who are seasoned ham radio operators it is just fine. It offers them an opportunity to communicate with improved reliability. It's an option for them. It should not be an option for beginners. Beginning ham radio operators should operate on radio. I have no reason to believe that offering this to beginners will picque their interest in ham radio.

Let's keep this program for licensed ham operators only.
#12     Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:06 am
WB5UDI
Parker, CO USA

Subject:

Steve - W0SDG.....

On Monday, you said:

Quote:
I think this idea is sound....I feel it would be beneficial to the growth of Ham Radio. ...... If we can promote ham radio through the use of the internet and eventually see new users get on the RF spectrums as a result of this opportunity, it would serve our fellowship quite well.

Then Tuesday, you said:

Quote:
It seems to me that this program would not be useful in promoting Ham Radio.....Heck, this program might be detrimental to Ham Radio....

W O W !!

Steve, what happened in 24 hrs to have you turn 180 degrees?

I appreciate what you and W7RJR have stated. But, let me be clear, I'm not advocating the dismissal of CW, the dismissal of being licensed, the dismissal of different classes of licenses. All of these are what distinguish the Amateur Radio operator. It should take "effort" to become a licensed Amateur Radio operator.

However, wouldn't you both agree that a CQ100-SWL version "could" be used as one more tool to catch the interest of an SWL'er or non-ham and possibly be their first introduction to our awesome hobby?

Sincerely,
Stan

WB5UDI
Parker, CO
#13     Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:27 am
2E1EHM
Kent

Subject: swl's

Hi Everybody
I find as soon as anybody mensions swl, they get all confused, I wonder why?. eQSO runs quite nicely side by side with swl's and they are allowed to speak, but as this programme has no problems with bandwidth, I don't see the big deal, but hey I only want to bring the hobby on further.
2E1EHM
#14     Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:52 am
W7RJR
Spokane, WA

Subject: RE: SWLs and others

This program and others like it that use the internet, while gaining in poplularity are a clear and present danger to the future of amateur radio.

The ARRL and others have worked very hard over the years to both gain and retain radio frequency spectrum for us to use. The more we as radio amateurs use this medium *instead* of those frequencies the greater the chance we will eventually lose them. As I was 'reading the mail' last night I overheard a station proclaim that he could see no reason why he should ever go back to the HF bands.

Introducing young people to this means of communication will do nothing to further the cause of amateur radio. In fact, it will be detrimental. I am not confused about SWLs, I simply don't see much of an application. SWLs are not solely interested in listening to ham operators.

I use and enjoy this program. I understand that it is not ham radio and I will never let my use of it interfere with being a real amateur radio operator. I believe most that use this will concur.

We must reserve this program for licensed ham radio operators. I have no objection however to the author creating a separate and distinct version.

#15     Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:52 am
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject:

Stan,

In part what you responded to is correct. I certainly am ok with the idea of a SWL rig, but after further thoughts about how affective it would be as an Elmering tool resulted in my second posting. I, like probably everyone else, was "dazzled" by CQ100 and all the wonderful possibilies we could have here, if only it would do this and that. I think I personally didn't understand the intended purpose of CQ100, a chat program for Ham operators. and uniquely so for apartment dwellers. Now, I have a few more thoughts that would support the way I have "restated" my position in my second posting, many of them covered there already, but I have a heck of a time organizing them in one posting so I won't take up much space here now. Took me over an hour and ahalf to write the second one! However, I appreciate your keen observations and will most certainly be careful how I word things in the future and try to project my position more accurately.

Tnx es 73,
Steve - W0SDG
#16     Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:22 pm
VE3EFC

Subject:

Hi Steve. Just a note to say thanks for that thoughtful 1.5 hour post. It really made me think. Have you considered getting into politics? *hi*
#17     Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:23 pm
G3VFP
Chorley

Subject:

I absolutely agree with Stan WB5UDI's comments in the swl version, and agree not one which has any tx capability. There has to be a reason for swl's to want to get a ticket, and allowing them to tx destroys that by giving them something for no effort. That in my opinion would only add to the further dumbing down of our great hobby.

Best Regards,

Dave G3VFP

www.g3vfp.org
#18     Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:50 pm
W5CMP
CARROLLTON TEXAS

Subject: MONEY FOR FREE VOIP.......

I THINK IT DUMB TO PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT'S IS FREE WITH YOUR IP VOIP.BUT THAT'S JUST ME. YAHOO MESS/MSN/EQSO/ECHOLINK/SKYP/I HAVE SEEN THESE PAY SYSTEM'S COME AND GO.BUT THAT'S JUST ME.73 AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE SYSTEM HOPE IT STICK'S. :arrow:
#19     Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:33 pm
W0SDG
Apple Valley MN

Subject: Re: MONEY FOR FREE VOIP.......

W5CMP wrote:
I THINK IT DUMB TO PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT'S IS FREE WITH YOUR IP VOIP.BUT THAT'S JUST ME. YAHOO MESS/MSN/EQSO/ECHOLINK/SKYP/I HAVE SEEN THESE PAY SYSTEM'S COME AND GO.BUT THAT'S JUST ME.73 AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE SYSTEM HOPE IT STICK'S. :arrow:

I think you have to put this into perspective. Who do you talk to on all those other programs with maybe the exception of EchoLink? EchoLink is free but you need to open ports, some need port forwarding and that is certainly not plug and play like the CQ100. The signals you see here are interested in chatting. Not so with Echolink as you never know who is actually waiting to be called even if their callsign is active. Hit and miss is the "norm" there. Here you get what you see. Mulitple modes are used here on CQ100. I've never heard PSK, RTTY, or CW on Echolink? It is abundant here on CQ100. We don't have to "log on" to a repeater link here on CQ100 to listen to it.

Maybe the old saying is still true in this case, "You get what you PAY for"..., and I don't think it's dumb...., but that's just me...

Steve - W0SDG
#20     Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:55 pm
N7UAG
lavergne, tn

Subject:

well hello everyone who reads this. i have read some of the comments of having a site for swl people. as i see it at least 2 thing can happen. first: extra funds can be generated by having a radio for swl people. many may ask, is this a money thing. PARTLY yes i think. it has to be. nothing runs and operates on wishes and good intentions. i ask this, where or who would be able to rent a radio reciever to cover the short wave bands which includes amateur radio. now when you get real, you will know even these recievers are expensive. a good one is not cheep unless you are in a dream world of dilution.. now look at the benifits:: what i see is a whole lot of people around the globe that could listen to us hams and wouldnt that spark enough interest in alot of them to want to go out and get that ticket so they would be able to enjoy talking also. I just happen to have a friend in france that is an american citzen that while emailing her and explaining this fabulas new radio over the internet, diclosed to me via email that back in the 80 s she had a ham radio license. now what a way to spark her interest to get that ticket back and come on board. I really think this radio reciever would be a benifit to all people around the globe. so that is what i think. thats my story and im sticken to it. hi hi -n7uag

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.