Archive

Topic: CQ100 Elmering proposal (13 replies)
#11     Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:58 am
MM3XXW
Edinburgh

Subject:

I have to agree wholeheartedly with you Joe 8)

I'm of the opinion that there's plenty of programmes that non-licenced operators can utilise and I feel that allowing them access to CQ100 would simply be opening the flood gates so to speak.

CQ100 users can rest assured by the fact that the callsign that comes up on the screen actually belongs to that particular operator and isn't one that's simply been hijacked from QRZ or some similar database. I'm not saying that non-licenced operators are all bad, goodness knows we've all come across bad licenced operators (simply tune to 14.195 on traditional HF to see an example of that :roll: ), however if they're serious about ham radio and wish to utilise great programmes such as this they'll go through the licence stages same as the rest of us had to do.
#12     Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:43 pm
VE3OV
Toronto Ontario

Subject:

Near the top of this 'Suggestion Box" forum, there currently is a discussion labled 'Permission to play music in the limited portion of the 29 MHz Band"

As part os that discussion I have posted there a mentoring plan for non licensed people with an interest in CQ100. The plan would allow for the entry of non-licensed people wishing to get help in becoming licensed Amateur Radio Operators . I am copying that plan over to this section.

The plan would not affect the current Amateur Radio activity on CQ100. Your comments in support would be useful.
- -

Iím trying to answer the question; should playing music on the CQ100 28 MHz Band be allowed? As I come up with a reason to vote yes, I also come up with a reason to vote no. Iíve been thinking about this issue and these are my comments.

To allow music would be quite a change in the rules that we go by. To allow music, would open the door to allowing other similar projects on CQ100.

Iíve read a lot more on the topic of allowing SWLs on CQ100 than I have about the music topic. After some thinking about these topics, these are my comments for what they are worth.

- My definition of "music" is the CQ100 user playing their own self-composed music into their microphone. But, to play through my microphone my favorite track from a commercial CD on my music shelf is clearly a violation of copyright laws, especially since the CQ100 service is a commercial venture for its owner.

- The 29 MHz Band on CQ100 should be expanded to 29.990 MHz up from the current 29.700 MHz.

- The 21 MHz Band on CQ100 should be expanded to 21.990 MHz up from the current 21.450 MHz.

- CQ100 members would be allowed to transmit music between 29.700 to 30.000 MHz. On a regular radio, these are not Amateur Radio frequencies.

- Music transmitted would be preceded and followed by spoken audio directed only to a specific operator at the receive end. Any form of open broadcasting to be quickly shut down.

- Registered licensed paid up CQ100 operators would be allowed to sponsor unlicensed individuals to become registered CQ100 operators who would be limited to operation only between 21.450 and 21.999 MHz. On a regular radio, these are not Amateur Radio frequencies.

- Sponsored CQ100 operators would receive a unique call sign. As an example ĎS1VE3OVí for the first unlicensed operator under my sponsorship of VE3OV. The above suggestions would maintain intact the current Amateur Radio Bands in the CQ100 Transceiver but also allow for special additional features to be added to the program. What Iím also saying is: To be fair, Iíll support your pet initiative, if you support mine.

Letís make this a win-win situation for everyone:

- The operators of the CQ100 operation (more usage and revenue).

- The shut out individuals seeking access to a Ham Radio program where they can meet Ham Radio operators.

- The users who want to exchange music.

- Amateur Radio Operators who want to introduce other members of the family to CQ100 or to be able to talk back to the family from out of town.

Joe - VE3OV
Toronto Ontario
#13     Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:29 pm
W2BLC
Altamont, NY

Subject: No music on CQ100

CQ100 provides a near ham radio experience for many licensed hams that would otherwise not be able to participate in their hobby. For example: those unable to install antennas, those in apartments or condos, those in nursing homes, and the list goes on and on.

Personally, I view CQ100 as yet another mode of operation in the world of ham radio. As such, it provides communication with other like minded licensed hams.

After all, communication is what ham radio is all about. Music is not communication in this sense.

My recommendation is not to spoil a good thing by lowering the standards or providing accommodation by changing the rules to suit only a few.
#14     Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:42 pm
WA0HFO
Marshalltown, IA USA

Subject: Re: Licensed Hams ONLY on CQ100

KC7GHT wrote:
Please continue to allow licensed Hams ONLY on CQ100. I have the ability to link CQ100 into my repeater system and thus desire only licensed Hams to be able to access CQ100.

If non licensed individuals want to talk, they can use CQPhone, or Skype, etc.

Joe
KC7GHT

I agree, there are at least three very good VOIP programs available to those who are not licensed HAM operators. They would be; Skype, CQPhone and Oovoo.

Copyright ©2013 Cormac Technologies Inc.